Author Topic: Neck size only???  (Read 339 times)

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
Neck size only???
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
Would you say that neck sizing only will inprove accuracy on every gun? Or just most of the time but not every?

EDIT: More info.... Im shooting a browning Abolt 300wsm. Factory winchester 150gr silver tips will shoot 3" group @100 And the pimers are flat flat flat.
So i started reloading for this gun. Iv tried 3 differant powders and 3 differant bullet makers. It shoots ok about 1" with low charges, anything over the minimun charge "out of the Nosler book" it starts to wonder on me. 64gr R19 pushing 165gr Sierra Gamekings is best so far @ 1" Followed by Horndy Interlocks.
For ever 1.gr of powder that i add, the groups grows about .250  I want to stay with 165gr and R19
The Nosler green tips were the worst. I had to seat them real deep so that they will eject. So thats why iv chose soft points. I also read the thread about the sooted brass, All empty cases are sooted up to the neck. I tried neck sizing with no inprovement to accuracy and maybe a little accuracy was lost. I have not went above 68gr R19 I have shot over 300 rounds missing with this darn gun. I own a Savage 16 300wsm that will shoot each of these bullets 1" or under with the 68gr R19

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Neck size only???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »
Twocan

To be real honest , I have never seen any real difference between FL sizing and Neck sizing in most production guns , bullet seating depth has done more for me than anything else .

As for the Re19 , it may be a case of it being just too fast of a powder for the Browning , and if thats the case , adding more powder may not help any as you have seen , you may want to look at maybe Re22 , Re25 or even IMR 7828 or H1000 .

stimpy   
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Neck size only???
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
exactly what i was going to say. i have a vanguard in .22-250 that shoots quarter-inch groups sometimes. how am i going to better that by neck sizing? lol
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.