Author Topic: My deer went for a swim.  (Read 494 times)

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
My deer went for a swim.
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:10:23 AM »
It has been extremely dry here in S.E.Indiana for a long time.  Practically everything is dried up where I hunt except for a small water hole in a small creek bed.  I think there must be a spring there,  The hole is about ten feet wide.  Anyway I shot this buck as he was crossing the creek, and he proceeded to run over and do a swan dive into the waterhole.   I was using a Knight Bighorn rifle with the #11 percussion cap, 2F powder and a 300 grain XTP bullet.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My deer went for a swim.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »
Many years ago I shot a buck that was on the far side of a river.  It was snowing at the time.  Once the buck was down the "now what" question came to mind.  I am sure my FIL thought okay boy time for you to get to work.

I stripped down to my shorts and waded until I had to swim.  After I checked the buck I waded back towards my FIL and he tossed me a weighted line what I took to the deer and wrapped around the horns.  FIL pulled on the line and I pushed the deer across the river.

The guys with the binoculars up on the road must have thought I was crazy.

The only thing that could have made it better was if I was using black powder.  Your buck is a little nicer than mine.  It had a broken point on one side.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »
 Nice deer. The area I hunt also has some holes the prings feeding. Thought that would be a draw for the deer, not see them near it yet.

Nice way to start a season.  ;)

Lonny

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
I have had two water retrieves of course both were just over the tops on my boots.