Author Topic: OPINIONS ON MAGNIFICATION  (Read 547 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
OPINIONS ON MAGNIFICATION
« on: November 20, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
OK--we have kicked around the topic of too much scope--cussed each othe, yelled and screamed our opinions from the soap-box and generally had a good time doing it.
Let's get down to a real world scene.
I put the VX II  4-12x40 on the Remington Speedmaster.
I was most suprised that I cranked up the power to 10X to see what I wanted to see the way I wanted to see it, at 50 yards. I was expecting some such results---I had catarac surgery a number of years ago and lens implanted. I play golf and at distance I loose the ball and have a hard time picking it up on the ground (parlay this into seeing the hole in a target).
The Remmy is a 50 yard rifle.
I will get a Browning T-Bolt for a 100 yard rifle.
What do you think about magnification based on the criteria of bench rest and what I have said above?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: OPINIONS ON MAGNIFICATION
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
Wm., I am thinking much along the same lines and have not reached a conclusion.  I have a cataract on my right eye, (shootin' eye), that I cannot afford to have fixed until I save up some money.  It's become a liability this year to the extreme.  I'm trying to decide if more magnification helps, or magnifies the problem.  In the meantime, I will have to start shooting off the left side....... ???

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
I was a right-handed shooter.  A cataract in my right eye forced lens replacement.  My vision is much better now, but I switched to shooting left-handed.  I prefer my natural left eye over the right eye with new lens.  I think the natural lens is better, but perhaps being left-handed has something to do with it.  I shot right-handed most of my life after using right-handed bolt actions when young.  All my scopes are 2-7 powers.  I generally leave them set between 4 and 5 power.

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
  JMHO For the shooting you do why not choose a fixed power scope? You have set yardages.  Fixed scopes can be dialed in for different ranges without adjusting the power setting.  A good 8x scope set to your eye should suit your needs. For hunting brush, open trees to lake bottoms I like the adjustable scope but for fixed ranges, why?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:33 AM »
Freezer
Good question and good thought.
I do like versitility and I will shoot all at different ranges---the 100 yard range may prove to be the exception to this thinking though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 04:42:01 AM »
  My point is, if this is a paper puncher a fixed 8 will take you from 25 to 200 yards with no adjustment except elevation. In the Pa woods a fixed 4 ia a great scope for fast shots out to 100 yards. I shot a buck in the head with a fixed 4 at 181 yards. I like the fixed power for a dedicated target gun because once it's set to your eye, your set.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
For bench rest compation I shoot an old mod. 37 Rem. with a 20X Leachered scope on. We only shoot 50 yrds. matches and even though the cross hairs in the old scope totally cover the 10 ring I still shoot it. If your going with the best you can get a fixed 24 or 36 X Leupold would be alot better, but I still win about 3/4 of the matches so I`ll leave the old scope on it. You can`t have to much power for a benchgun, unlike a field gun.