Author Topic: Ruger Old Army Problem  (Read 1587 times)

Offline fastshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger Old Army Problem
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
With the ROA hammer slightly cocked back so that the cylinder can rotate, I took out the cylinder pin.  I attempted to remove the cylinder from the frame, when I discovered that the bolt (cylinder latch) was locked into the cylinder notch.  I cannot remove the cylinder due to the bolt locking into the cylinder notch.  I do not want to damage the bolt or the cylinder notch by forcing it.  I tried pulling the hammer back, and pulling the trigger, but the hammer is locked in approximately the half cocked position and the trigger will not move.  The hammer will not move back or forward.  The trigger is locked in position.  I tried to wiggle the cylinder out of the frame, I was unable to get the cylinder out without damage to the bolt and cylinder notch.  Is there a way to get the cylinder out?  Do I have to take the grip frame off the main frame to get the bolt (cylinder latch) down, so I can remove the cylinder?  Thank you for any help that you can provide. 

Offline Blackhawk1

Re: Ruger Old Army Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »
Fastshooter, I had a similar problem recently.  Partialy cocked my Old Army and it locked up.  In my case I removed the cylinder pin and the cylinder came out easily, with no damage. I cocked it and reset the cylinder bolt.  From what you describe, it sounds like you may need to take your's apart to correct the problem.  Also,you might want to check on RugerForum.com  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.       

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
Try pushing the cylinder pin back into the cylinder and then try to cock the hammer

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
had a similar problem with my old army. was able to jiggle the cylinder while turning in the direction of rotation and get it free. took a bit of effort but not enough to damage anything. good luck with your gun, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline whitetailsniper30tc

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
i also have had this happen,2 times to be exact.,, in fact mine is in pieces sitting on my dresser . i had to both times take the gun down totally to get the cylinder out.  as i think this is not an uncommon problem,,its still a pain in the rear. however since this is the second time its done it to me,,i figured i might as well do some tweaking on the parts while it was torn down. so i plan on polishing the hammer sides were its seated in the frame,,im thinking the problem lies in the cylinder paw,as i noticed mine was not as free,and smooth as i could make it.i figured it surely wouldnt hurt. i also noticed on the other side at the base of the trigger there is a small recesed pin.make sure it has a drop of oil on it.this i think contibutes to the problem. just my thoughts.