Author Topic: Loads for 60 Grain Partition in .223  (Read 1725 times)

Offline smcook

• Trade Count: (0)
Loads for 60 Grain Partition in .223
« on: November 11, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has worked up a decent load for the 60 grain Partitions in .223. Two years ago I bought a box and loaded 35 rounds with H335 (I started with middle of the pack loads based on the Nosler #6 manual), Remington cases and CCI 400 primers. The best groups I could get were a dismal 2.5" to 3" at 100 yards. The rifle I'm working with is a Encore with a 26" heavy barrel. I know the gun is capable of turning in good groups as I have shot a couple of groups under an inch with factory Federal American Eagle 55 grain hollow points. I haven't spent as much time lately reloading, but I've got the bug again and I'd like to have something to hunt does with later in the season.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Loads for 60 Grain Partition in .223
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »
whats the twist rate?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:45:43 AM »
loads that has worked for me are 25 grains of wc846 which is very simular to blc2 and 24 grains of 748. Most of my guns shoot this bullet best at the top end of the pressure level.
blue lives matter

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
My favorite powder for the 55 gr and heavier bullets is Varget, I seem to always find a load that works well with it and it usually works best at the top end.  Experiment with seating depth if you havn't already, sometimes it helps alot.   Dave

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:41:08 AM »
+1 on the varget for .223.  I load 24.6 grs. for 60 gr. bullets in my .223's, but its for more of a target application than hunting. 

I've never gotten the best accuracy with partitions in any gun I've used them in, but accept a slight drop off in accuracy for bullet performance.  And 2.5 to 3" groups will certainly put a slug in the boiler room at any range you should be shooting a deer with a .223.  Good luck.

Jim

Offline smcook

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. McDerry, I'm fairly certain that the twist rate is 1:12. I've got some 748 and I'm gonna pick up a pound of Varget tonight. The Nosler manual seems to show Benchmark as a pretty good powder in the .223. Shows as a powder that is often the most accurate with the highest velocities. Anybody have any experience with it?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Steve

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
I've played around a lot with .223 caliber bullets this past year. So much in fact, that I purchased 4 different powders, 3 different primers and about a dozen different bullets in weights from 45 grains to 75 grains.  Powder burn rate and volume certainly have an impact on accuracy but rate of twist REALLY makes a huge difference.  The rate of twist of your barrel may not stabilize a 60 grain bullet in your rifle ( I've owned rifles with 1/12, 1/9, and 1/7 twist)  Bullet shape, length and weight are all important variables. I would suggest that you select a lighter bullet - maybe 50 grains and see if that makes a difference.  Look up "Ladder Method" on the internet and consider loading 20 rounds using this method.  I am pretty sure that you will be able to find the perfect load for your rifle.  Heck, if you want to send me a shipping address I'll mail you some 50 grain bullets to try.

Good Luck & happy loading!

Paul

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Had a lot of trouble geting decent groups with 60 gr. partition.My best was after calling Nosler useing their suggestion.Benchmark powder anr seat the bullet deeper into the case instead of close to rifling.This got me acceptable groups.Also tried Blackhills load with this bullet.Don't know what they put in it but it shoots nearly as well as my best load for that rifle.Good luck....I couldn't afford to keep buying bullets for load developement.