Author Topic: New Mexico Opportunities  (Read 665 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Mexico Opportunities
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
Just found out I may be going to Albuquerque area in September for work and was wondering what opportunities there were around there. May not have funds or time for elk or deer. Can anyone else that knows the area suggest something I could do around there? Would even consider some small game or javelina or whatever. Just want to get out in the country side after the business is done.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: New Mexico Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »
Leather, I have not hunted deer or elk in N. M. but shot lots of jacks and quail there in years past..maybe a few coyotes..I am not sure when the quail season opens, but in sept. you should get some dove shooting..the sw is excellent for that..one year I missed out on aoudad hunts that were going on, because I did not have one of my big game rifles with me on the trip..but I would say you could count on coyotes, jacks, dove and maybe quail that that time of year....

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:40 AM »
The odds of drawing a quality deer or elk tag are pretty low.  You might as well try since NM has a straight draw system (no points) but I wouldn't hold my breath.  There are landowner tags available if you're looking to spend that much.

You might check into javalinas... there are some units that I think you can draw easily.  I think there may be OTC opportunities for archery coues deer as well. 

In short, New Mexico is short on quality public ground big game opportunities.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 02:03:36 PM »
Jackrabbits, quail and doves would be cool. Hadn't thought of New Mexico for quail or doves. All three of those are things I can't hunt here in NY. And coyotes are always fun. Maybe will have to take both the .222 and the shotgun.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)