Author Topic: Coston Line Cannon  (Read 813 times)

Offline gene of oregon

• Trade Count: (0)
Coston Line Cannon
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
Last sept. I posted about my coston line cannon. well i finally got around to getting pic's to post. Computer wasn't letting me transfer. Here are pic's of it as it is now. It's going to be my winter project. Would like some  advice for restoring it, type of paint, colors, platform, etc.. Also the previous owner beat on the side of the barrel trying to loosen the line projectile stuck inside and left hammer marks indentations. Is there some way of filling these???  Thanks,  Gene

The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it.  The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!!

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Coston Line Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Auto body filler compound or regard them as honorable marks of a long life ( and a heavy handed owner).
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
They could be filled with weld and turned down again but it would probably retain more value unaltered.

Also, since the dings just moved metal elsewhere, you might try carefully peening the built-up areas back into the depressions.  Might work; might not.  It won't restore it to original undamaged condition or put the turning marks back on the beat on areas.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »
They make an Automotive primer-filler that works well but like normal auto body filler you still need to sand.
As to colors look at what is on the cheek pieces see if there are other colors lurking underneath
if not that is probably the original color.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
 I'd leave the dings unless they really bother you.

There's a simple, cheap and effective method to remove rust from iron/steel parts at home....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

I and others here (including our ex-resident antique cannon expert/restorer) have used this method sucessfully.

Easier and faster is abrasive blasting but that can remove material and distort the surface more than some care for. If you don't mind that and are going to paint it, blasting is a much better prep than the electrolytic method.

Bore has seen better days so if you're planning to shoot it you might want to hone it to clean it up some.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes