Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on Chronographs  (Read 1020 times)

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for suggestions on Chronographs
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
My apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but I figured pretty much only us handloaders use em.  I've been reloading for 20+years and never had a chrono, only been 'guessing' based on book values.  The wife has been asking what I want for Christmas, and I've decided it's time for a chrono.  I'm not really looking for anything with 'all the bells and whistles', my 4 main criteria are reliable, accurate, simple, and affordable.  I guess what I'm looking for is the best bang for my buck.  Any and all input would be appreciated.
JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for suggestions on Chronographs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:47:23 AM »
I've said this on another thread.....

A chronograph will either make you into a believer, a doubter, or a liar!  I admit that sometimes it's nice to know the velocity that you're shooting, but sometimes if can be dissapointing if you're really into pushing things as fast as you can.

If you must have one, the model F-1 Chrony works whenever I use it.  I've had it for about 5 years, and it was used when I got it. 

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
+1 on what Dezynco said. My first F1, a factory refurb that I bought for about fifty dollars, lasted ten plus years. It finally died just a few months ago and a new F1 is now doing its job. Would have bought another refurb but the manufacturer was out of stock when I needed a new one.

The F1 does just one thing. It measures the velocity of a bullet and shows that velocity on a display. It remains there until you turn the thing off or fire another round. The velocity of the second round is now on the display. No massaging of data, no averages, no standard deviations, nothing but the velocity of the last shot.

I made up a simple form, printed on my computer, on which to record the velocity of each shot. I also have a simple spreadsheet at home. I copy the penciled data from the range into the spreadsheet where averages and SD's are calculated and displayed and stored.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
+1 on the F-1, but go for the Master, it has a remote display that sits on the bench at your finger tips instead of in front of the shooting line, much nicer for viewing and resets if needed, the cable also makes it easy to place the chrony at the same distance from the muzzle every time.

Tim

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shooting-Chrony-F-1-Master-remote-chronograph-reloading-/380284839569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588abe2691

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
I have enjoyed using my Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph.  My wife asked me what I want for Christmas and it was on my list.  I like it because it records a lot of data which can be retrieved.  I keep the Chrony forms handy and transfer the data to paper.

If you do not have a sunny spot to shoot it can be frustrating. 

I do not use it every time I go shooting so I need to give myself a little refresher before heading to the range. 

Without a doubt the Chrony is the most popular product at the gun club I belong to.  Some days six or seven units are set up; the majority Chrony.  When I see the folks using models without the remote I am glad mine has it.  The Master series is worth the price.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:25 AM »
+1 on the F-1, but go for the Master, it has a remote display that sits on the bench at your finger tips instead of in front of the shooting line, much nicer for viewing and resets if needed, the cable also makes it easy to place the chrony at the same distance from the muzzle every time.

Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shooting-Chrony-F-1-Master-remote-chronograph-reloading-/380284839569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588abe2691

I'LL 2ND THAT I have the master beta and it work great the remote display is the way to go.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »

Tim

I'LL 2ND THAT I have the master beta and it work great the remote display is the way to go.

I just hope you don't do it in public!  lol lol

DM

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:02:14 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of chronograph ownership.  It's a wonderful tool and you'll find yourself using it constantly.  There's really no other way to know what your reloads, with your bullets, are doing in your barrel unless you use a chronograph.

However, be reminded that there are only two types of chronograph owners.  Those who will shoot their chronograph and those who have shot their chronograph.

Just for the record, that's a .30 caliber speer bullet traveling at about 2800 fps.  It took out both eyes.

However, the chrony people are understanding when that happens and they try really hard to not laugh when you call them.  A new box is about $60.00.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »
However, be reminded that there are only two types of chronograph owners.  Those who will shoot their chronograph and those who have shot their chronograph.

So I've heard that a bunch,,
I'm kicking the idea of getting a Chrony myself soon. As said, you just don't know unless you have one.

Why is it that folks shoot so low over the box ? Is that the only place to get good readings from the eyes?
 Won't 4-5"s above work, or even higher under the 14" shades?
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:11 AM »
I think it happens most often when shooters don't take into consideration that the bore is well below the line of sight, particularly with scopes. Shooting multiple firearms in one sitting probably doesn't help either. Shooting Chrony recommends 4" above the Chrony for open sights and 6" above for scopes.

Tim

http://www.shootingchrony.com/english_QS_F1M1.htm

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
Have taken out a wire and sky screen.

Always put a few rounds down range into your tatget before you find out your scope is off.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:41 AM »
I replaced the metal diffuser rods with 1/8" wood dowels, they'll just break without damaging the plastic sensors if they get hit, the dowels have to be sanded thinner to fit in the chrony, but not a problem, just chuck em up in a drill and wrap the end of the dowel in sandpaper. I also glued the multi-piece diffusers together so it's easier to assemble,  I always use the diffusers regardless of the lighting conditions to guarantee consistent readings.

Tim

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »
Re shooting the Chrony........wrap a bit of black electricians' tape around the midpoint of each support rod. Make sure your line of sight is above the markers. You won't be shooting your Chrony after doing this.

Offline shooter6br

• "Keep up the good fight"God bless America
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
Pact model 1. Simple easy to use had mine since 1992.......................Gave my Chony F-1 away ,

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 07:41:37 AM »
+1 to Pact Model 1 XP.  simple, economical, believable

for the record, I HAVE NEVER SHOT MY CHRONOGRAPH, ITS SKY SCREENS, ELECTRONIC RECEIVERS, THE SUPPORTS, THE WIRES, or ANYTHING DOWN RANGE, except the intended target...so far.