Author Topic: Smart Carry holsters??????????????  (Read 746 times)

Offline lostone1413

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Smart Carry holsters??????????????
« on: October 21, 2003, 11:41:04 AM »
I was thinking of getting the smart carry holster I have a GP100 with a 4" barrel and a snub nose SW 38 plus down the road i'm getting P97 I read 1 holster can be set up for any size gun It would be nice only to get one and carry any gun I have. Do they work good and do any of you change off gun sizes with the same holster?????? One more thing how big a pain is it to draw the gun be you sitting or standing?? Would you get this holster again?? Thanks Chuck (Cottonwood,AZ.)

Offline jfruser

Smartcarry
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 12:26:01 PM »
lostone:

I bought one a while back.  It is a bit of a specialty holster with some good & not so good applications.  It is quality-made.  I bought the large one for my S&W 686.   The large model will pack one large handgun and one med/small gun or 1 any size gun and a magazine or two.It is not the quickest presentation, but it beats leaving you gun at home.  You can use the large model for smaller guns, but you have to block off the bottom of the holster with a safety pin.  Sitting down is not uncomfortable, but sometimes you can get jabbed in the wrong place.  Not painful, more surprising :shock:

A quality belt holster would be preferred, but sometimes is not do-able.

Good:
Loose shorts or pants.

Bad:
Tight fitting shorts or pants:
"Hey, is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"  Also, it can't be drawn then.

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 06:32:04 AM »
I have a Thunderware holster and use it almost exclusively in the summer when wearing loose shorts.  I use the same rig, without alteration, for my Kahr K40, Glock 22, and S&W 4" M66.  The only problem I ever have is while running with the Glock or the M66 I get a little wake-up occasionally, and when reaching into the bed of my pickem-up truck with the tail gate down.  THAT can create a significant problem.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Other than those two instances, I never have any problems at all.

Also, when on vacation in non-carry states, the rig does double duty as a money belt/folding knife sheath.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 09:36:30 AM »
Guys,
Hope the Smart Carry and the Thunderware pack better than the Pager Pal I bought at a gunshow on an impulse. Seemed like a good idea at the time. When I put it on, it looked like I had a large tumor, and was right uncomfortable when I sat down!!!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 07:07:10 AM »
Savage,

Thunderware/SmartCarry systems are MILES ahead of the Pager Pal.  I have absolutely no use for the Pager Pal, although to be fair I know a guy who uses his with a .357 Sig Glock and likes it.  Personally I can't see it happening, but to each his own, I guess.   The Thunderware rig I use is virtually undetectable and  very comfortable, except as I outlined above.  Mine is finally starting to wear out after 10 years.  Not bad, me thinks.  I'll be replacing it before summer, and won't mind spending the money.  10 years from a holster is pretty good ROI.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?