Author Topic: Portable Blinds  (Read 1813 times)

Offline acearch72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« on: March 13, 2003, 04:49:03 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using those portable pop-up blinds for whitetail hunting.

Are they easy to set up/take down?

Are they bulky to carry into the woods?

Do they make noise in the wind?

Do they work?

I've looked at the Ameristep and Double Bull brands. but only on their web pages, not in person.

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
Portable Blinds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 07:05:43 AM »
You bet... I used one for the first time this year while getting recovered from knee surgery... I got mine through the Cabela's catalog. It's the "Outhouse" model. It has a little carrying case that you can put on like a backpack... it weighs almost nothing, and sets up in about 5 mins. Very easy. I left mine out all season, using the tiedown rope that comes with it. In the wind, it is quite, and it went through a bad thunderstorm with torrential rains and 50 knot winds with no problems at all...  I am very happy with it. Oh... the deer paid no attention to it at all, and squirrels etc. were actually on top of it while I was hunting from it... With it, I would suggest standing it up, and getting in to check shooting areas though before you tie it down and put the stakes in the ground. I got mine all set up once, then got in and found that I had it situated wrong, and had to change it's orientation just a bit... IronKnees
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 07:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the response.  How is it to repack?  I've heard some people say that they are a b*#@h to get back into that nice backpack.

Also what did you use as a rest, if anything?  I was thinking of maybe shooting sticks or something.

Offline Daveinthebush

If weight
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 08:18:16 AM »
is a concern:  I bought a piece of thin camoflague netting about 60" wide, 8 feet long, doubled it over a piece of parachute cord, sewed it together and sewed other pieces of cord onto it about 18" long.  It is light enough to throw into the pack and easily tied to trees and bushes.  I then  place some twigs or leaves against it and sit behind that.

Light weight, under 10$ and I use it for turkeys, deer and even ducks and geese.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
Portable Blinds
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 08:23:25 AM »
:)  :)  :)  Yep, it can be difficult if you don't read the instructions. Actually, folding it back up is VERY EASY as long as you read the directions, and do it a time or two before you are in the field.  On the outhouse model, all you have to do is lay it on it's side, fold the top over the bottom, then give the part you are holding a twist... in doing so, the entire thing folds right into itself and slides right into its' little back pack... You just need to give it a go once or twice to get the hang of it...  :grin:
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline Catfish369

Portable Blinds
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 04:03:45 AM »
Another "Outhouse" user here.......$29.98 at Wal-Mart, clearenced out at the end of the season.  Used it the last 2 days of deer season here in Georgia....didn't get a deer while using it but had 4 does pass by me within bow range, as well as several turkey and 2 rabbits..  Only one of the does even gave me a glance.  Almost had an Armadillo crawl into it with me.  I'll use it again for this years season.  Planning on using it tomorrow morning on a turkey hunt.
Dale

Offline ahunter55

• Avid Poster
    • http://members.sanasys.com/~jlaw/
pop up blinds
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 10:39:55 AM »
I have the Dog House & it is great-large enough for 2 real easy with room to spare.  Quick up & quick down & anyone can afford it.
always thankful

Offline willis5

• Contributor
Portable Blinds
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 06:40:14 AM »
just don't leave them out in the open. They still need to be against a backdrop because if they you can see the silhouette, than it defeats the purose of camo.  Infront of brush, trees, against or just in a woodline are perfect. I have even leaned a branch or two on or infront of the blind to be more effective.
Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Portable Blinds
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 10:38:52 AM »
I also have a doghouse.  I ment to use it for late season bowhunting.  It will work, but make sure you acually sit in it with a bow 1st before hunting in it.  You are quite limited in how to sit in one and still be able to get your bow up without hitting either the roof or the front.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2003, 06:03:40 PM »
Are the blinds from Ameristep (Outhouse/Doghouse/Penthouse/etc.) waterproof, or do you sit there with rain dripping down your deck all day?

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
Portable Blinds
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 01:46:52 AM »
Mine did just fine in a light rain... It was out if one VERY heavy storm, and I went out to the woods right after the storm was over. I had a chair, and a decoy inside, and they were dry as a bone... Actually, I expected to find it either blown down, torn up, or in the tree tops, but it was fine...
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline Zachary

Portable Blinds
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 05:08:17 AM »
I friend of mine has a Double Bull Blind (like the ones you see on the outdoor channel).  It's expensive, but it's VERY NICE!!!  I think that it is definately worth the extra money.

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Portable Blinds
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2003, 08:51:20 AM »
I sat in one of those Outhouse blinds like Dave has pictured above one morning. One cold clear morning and got absolutely soaked. It was as mentioned a very cold morning. The inside of the blind was toldly covered with frost. As the sun came up it melted and dripped all over me. Even the frost on the outside ran down the sides and the light wind blew that in on me. Is this frost on the inside something anyone else has experienced with these blinds? It was set up the afternoon before use if that matters.

Now it was placed on a slight slope not on level ground but in most places I've hunted level ground is at a premium and seldom in a place that is where the deer are so I don't see that as an unusual situation for my hunting. This caused me to have my head and at times shoulders rubbing the back side fo the blind as I sat in my chair. Both noisy and uncomfortable.

Based only on that one experience I'd be hard pressed to pay $10 for one of those.

I have a huge blind I got real cheap at one of those tool sales that they have around this area. Some big tool company rents a building and sells tools and other stuff at dirt cheap prices. I've never used it and set it up only once but it sure would be comfortable to hunt from as it is I think about 4'x6' or more and at least 6' tall. Set up sure ain't quick or real quiet and take down ain't much better. It is heavy as lead as the supports are made of steel. How it would hold up in a wind I haven't a clue. Some day I'll get around to using it for hunting and see how it works. If I had a place I could set it up in a wooded locale and leave it rather than having to take it in daily I think I could learn to like it. Having to set it up and remove it daily I dunno.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Portable Blinds
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 04:03:41 PM »
i use a tent that is about identical to the double bull every day at work.   quick to set up,  quick to take down.   wouldnt want to carry it for a long distance,  but other wise it is great.   with a small heater in it, we work all day long in sub zero weather with rain or snow not making much difference in how dry i am.   i figured on getting a blind also,  and i will be getting the double bull.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Portable Blinds
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 12:17:44 PM »
I have an Ameristep Doghouse blind. It's big enough to be comfortable for two people, keeps out light rains, and folds up easily and very quickly IF you follow the instructions. Mine fits back into the nylon backpack easily.

Offline Raza

Portable Blinds
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 02:37:13 AM »
Hi Guys--

I found this thread using "search."  It's an older thread, but I still have a few questions, so I hope you don't mind me bringing it back up.

I'm going to have to move to a ground blind because I just can't sit in a tree stand anymore--to many old back problems.  I'm wondering whether any of you have sprayed scent, scent killer, or attractant on your ground blinds.  Also, if anyone has experience with specific brands or models of ground blinds not mentioned already in this thread, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I will be using it mainly to hunt deer in mixed cover in north-central Maine.  (WMD #17, I believe).  But I also might use it here in Connecticut for the shotgun season, and possibly even for turkeys if it's not too inconvenient.  The cover in Maine is everything from thick cedar swamps to open farm fields.  Sometimes there is snow, sometimes not.

Thanks for any advice :-)

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Portable Blinds
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 04:09:23 AM »
I like to hunt ground blinds, but I am hesitant about the tent variety. One important consideration for me (while gun hunting) is a steady, solid rest. I haven't yet seen a tent-style blind that offers this feature.

So I set out to build a mobile ground blind out of wood. Now, keep in mind, this is a heavier blind (@ 60#), not something you would want to hike with. It is compact, however, and easily stored or transported by vehicle. You can carry it for short distances if the weight is not a problem. If you can drive close to your hunting spot and have a hand truck or deer cart, it might be the ticket. It is built on a basic hexagon box pattern as detailed below.

I bought two 3/8" fiberboard panels at Home Depot and had them cut each into 2' x 4' strips. This produces 8 strips: six for the side walls and two for the roof. On the six sidewall strips I cut a neat window about 16" wide x 9" tall at my sight height (see chair below) with a jigsaw. Next I connected these panels together with pairs of lightweight hinges, alternating sides of the panels with the hinge mounts so that all the sides fold together like a paper fan. The last panel-to-panel connection is not hinged, but held with a simple latch mounted inside close to a window for easy reach-in.

The two remaining roof panels were hinged together and four small angle braces attached to the bottom face so that the braces aligned with four opposing walls of blind. Once the six side panels are folded out into place to make a hexagon (super easy task), the roof is folded out (hinge side down) and placed on top of the side walls. Four short screws connect the angle braces of the roof to the side walls, which further stabilizes the whole affair and makes it a cozy, quite sturdy, and effective blind. The fiberboard pattern even gives it a sort of cammo look, too. Folded up, it is compact enough to fit in a car trunk or back seat easily.

I used a collapsible canvas chair (Walmart $5) inside, which lowers the sight height to allow head clearance in the 4' high blind. I am 6'2" tall, and it worked fine for me. You can also use chunks of wood or scrap pieces of 2x4 to raise the whole blind off the ground (one under at least three corners), but this changes the sight height, so keep that in mind.

I used this blind to hunt in Missouri this year, and the first day we had 35 mph winds. I was on top of a long hill where the wind raced up an empty bean field for half a mile before slamming into my blind. The blind did not shake or even hint at toppling over. The wind did rush through those windows, though! I sure was glad to have a solid blind in those conditions.

I would post a picture, but I left the blind up in Missouri for next year. I plan on building another before next year down here in Texas. The whole blind costs around $50 and one afternoon to make.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.