Author Topic: How are you deer hunts going this Fall of 2010?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
How are you deer hunts going this Fall of 2010?
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
 ;) My girl friend and I fill our whitetail antlerless permits, this last week...it took some time to find big does with no fawns...I had two tags and she had one...My first one fell to the new Marlin 1895 .45-70 and a handload of 3031 and a 350 grain Horn. fp...I took her off hand about 60 yards..she dropped in her tracks from a high shoulder shot......My girl friend got the next one..she had a good rest on a round bale and the 200 grain Silvertip from the model 99 .358 took a huge doe in the bottom of the chest..she tried to run but crashed in about 10 feet...my last one was taken with another high shoulder shot..she dropped in her tracks from the 117 grain Factory loaded WW soft point from my rebarreled Marlin .25-35...from the looks of the exit hole the WW are a bit softer than the Horn. I have been handloading....we will go for an early buck hunt for a few days, then be home for antelope, sage grouse and general deer later in the mth..how is your hunting going this fall...we have a ways to go..most season may not be open..but let us know how it is going......

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: How are you deer hunts going this Fall of 2010?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »
Have to wait until October here in Illinois. :(
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »
Archery season starts here next weekend. BTW you made my mouth water talking about a 25-35.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:45 AM »
Deer hunting already.Wow!  It was near 95 degrees here yesterday, and the season is not open yet.  Archery season opens Oct 1, maybe then I will spend a few days in the stand., it will still be hot.

Congrats on your kills..............

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
12 more days until archery season opens.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:46:07 PM »
Early Antlerless opens here 9-16 to 9-20.  I'm planning on being out.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
Here in Arkansas Muzzleloader season starts in mid October and modern gun about a month later.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline northernbill

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »
Here in northern New York I have had a fairly good season so far. I managed to bag an average sized doe during archery season,then an extra large doe during early muzzleloading season. I'm off to work in a few minutes, and at the end of the day I start my annual week vacation. I'm just a little bit excited. Tomorrow I'll be in the High Peaks Wilderness Area of the Adirondacks, and I'll be there most of the next nine days. So far this season I have seen quite a few deer there, and there has been good sign. There are more coyotes in this area than years past,and although I don't think they have had a big impact on the deer population yet, the deer are definitely more nervous. Last year on friday November 13th I shot a 180 lb. 8 point there. I can only pray that I do at least as well this year.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »
my son got this nice 9 pt during the mo youth hunt.regular season starts tomorrow. im hopeing to take a nice tasty bambi with my new blackhawk 45.good luck to all!

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »
I can not complain. Took a 7 point (6 main points with a kicker) 10-26-10 and then a Doe the following week. Seen several and let 3 spikes and another 6 point walk (deer managerment). Still seeing plenty of deer, can pick and chose.  ;)
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline mike4

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
went pretty good for us

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:30 AM »
Good so far here in Central Texas. got a small buck with my crossbow and a fat doe with my Model 10 .38. Still have 3 left to go.  Freezer is full so I'll save those for Dec or Jan.

Offline jbwell

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
Got a nice east Texas buck last Saturday morning with my TC 357 Max rifle.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Bow season here in Ohio. I passed up two small does the first time I went out several weeks ago, then the next weekend I passed on a smallish 8 pt. too. Hoping to see something bigger now that the rut is really in gear. Or I would settle for a nice mature doe in this early part of the bow hunting season.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »
My hunting partner killed this nice FL 8-point on my place opening day of modern gun season (11-06-2010).

We're still looking for his older and bigger buddy (see B/W photo below).

Acorn are falling like rain and the deer have stopped moving during the day.  They are foraging nocturnally and slipping out to bed just prior to legal light/shooting.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:07 AM »
Good thread.

I'm happy to report that my season has been very good, so far - and there's six weeks left!

First killed an 8pt in muzzleloading.
Then killed two spikes a week apart.
Then, last Monday, killed a nine-pointer, biggest deer yet.
there was also one more that I'm not going to admit to, seeing that was a baby when I got to him... something in the soil, here, that made that one shrink from the time I pulled the trigger at dawn until I got to him.
Got to scout some new land, my fav spot just got taken off the gamelands list, to my considerable regret -that's where I got the nine and the eight.  Pictured below is the 8pt then the 9pt
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.