Author Topic: well i missed  (Read 908 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
well i missed
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »
well i was out today got off road on the hiway dropper over the hill slid to the bottom found a nice ground blind in the woods so i figured i would check it out very nice saw another down the hill about 50 yrds some one has a nice turkey set up going on saw 4 toms after the turkey headed out i went for a slow walk in the snow was about knee deep nice n fluffy good walking today so i found a good spot along a creek almost in it once or twice but found a good log got all set up shooting stick set for where i thought the deer were going to come through at sat there for about 45 minutes saw something through the pines then there he was got the encore 44 mag up on the stick went to look through the scope and there it was one big snow flake now i just poped the cap so it must of fell just as i pulled up i got it cleaned off looked at the deer looking at me he jumped just as i squeezed the trigger up over the hill he went i went over where i shot at him about 50 or so yds 1 drop of blood so i sat down for a while thinking of how he came in looked like he was favoring his front leg so i thought ok 30 minutes later im going to track him just to see my buddy saw a few drops of blood way up the hill with tracks going my way he told me when i called him told him i missed i think and where i was heading so they know where im at so off i go up this hill like a goat but a slow one across the hill not a drop so now i get to slide down from the other hiway back down to the creek found where he came up out of the creek followed his tracks no blood so i think he was hit earlier and i missed him was great to get a shot even if i missed it was a great day in the woods

b44mag

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: well i missed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
It can get mighty cold with your shirt tail cut off this time of year.  ;D I missed a deer last year with one of my contenders. I had three doe come into the logging road I was hunting on. I had my 6mm-225 Win barrel on and killed the biggest doe. She was facing me at 80 yards and put her head down and I shot her in the neck where it meets her shoulders. It dropped her in her tracks. The other two ran down the road a little ways. One came back in a few minutes and stood right at 100 yards away stomping its feet and bobbing its head. It stood still for a few moments and I decided to shoot her in the neck as she faced me. At the moment that the gun went off she dropped her head and neck way down and I shot right over top of her.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
I shot over a doe last year with my 357Mag too.  So far this year I haven't had a shot up close to use the pistol on.  Will get one more weekend of gun season here in OH so maybe....

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
yep this sat is last day firearms so ill get one more chance then the 26 flintlock comes in so i hope i get another shot with the encore mayb
b44mag

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:37:33 AM »
just shot a spike last night. I dont usually shoot small bucks because i can shoot does doing crop damage all fall but this one was limping a bit and i had an extra tag. I popped it with the muzzle loader and it dropped in its tracks. When i skinned it out I found an open on impact broadhead that hadnt opened in its hind quarter and it was all festered. Sure glad i put that animal out of its missery!
blue lives matter

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
Hey Lloyd, the same kind of thing happened to my Dad's friend last year. His arrow passed thru on a buck. It appeared to be a high lung hit but they never found the deer. Several weeks later another hunter killed the same deer with a rifle. Wound from the arrow was healing nicely from the previous arrow

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »
mohawk I did the same thing about 15yrs ago,there is what I call a dead spot between the lungs and the spine,from what I have read its a non fatal shot with something like 90% survival rate unless it gets infected. Kinda sucks because I thought I had made a good shot. We also got the deer a couple weeks later and the wound was healing up nice. So we had to make a new one ;)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 07:04:10 AM »
I saw a little button head spike this morning that had been shot by a bow. He fed fine and wasn't limping, but the entrance and exit were obvious so I decide to take him on out and naturally as I grab my gun he walks out of the patch before I could get a good shot.

Sorry about the miss.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!