Author Topic: glare from the sun  (Read 448 times)

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
glare from the sun
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:35:44 AM »
like to know what scope would not have much glare on the lenses when the sun is at your back. thank you
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: glare from the sun
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm.......ordinarily your head shadows the scope as you peer through the lens, which would preclude back-light glare.  If the sun is off to the right or left side, and not directly behind, then I understand.

I do not know how a scope would counter this physical anomaly.  A strong light source to the left or right and behind is going to cause glare on glass and illumination of the inner scope tube.  How much glare will depend on the coatings on that glass.

Could you fashion some "sun block" behind you to prevent the light from directly impinging on the scope?  It does not seem that much of a "screen" would be necessary.  Perhaps the flared hood of a jacket or coat?  Maybe a piece of plywood temporarily affixed to the stand?  Or possibly a piece of camo draped down behind you and clothes pinned to screen your position?  These would seem to be "easier" fixes for your issue.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »
thanks land-owner. that gives me good info
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
I have seen pictures of scopes in the past with a rubber eyeshade on the eye piece of a scope.  The ones I have seen have the have the rubber eye piece cut back at about a 45˚ angle for a right hand shooter.  My concern with most of my hunting rifles is getting wacked the eyebrow.  

It might work with the normal eye clearance from the scope, similar to a sun shade in a vehicle.  

For some reason I relate the pictures to hunting in Europe.

Check out this link:

http://e-sarcoinc.com/images/products/detail/scp033.jpg

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.