Author Topic: Dramatic Deer Kills  (Read 2607 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Dramatic Deer Kills
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
Spineshot a few deer with the bow, they went down on the spot.

I read a story several years back about culling cape buffalo with a 338 win mag. The author stated they took only heart shots when presented, every so often a cape buffalo would drop DRT. They autopsied these buffs and found all the tiny arteries in the brain were burst. The explaination for this was that the bullet impacted when the heart was constricted fully and the blood pressure was at it highest. The shockwave from the bullet caused the ruptue of these arteries, even with a "marginal cleber like a 338 win. Was an interesting read on why sometimes a heartshot animal drops on the spot.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
Shot a doe near dusk at 85 yards in the center of a field with Nosler 150 gr Partition in 270 caliber.  She turned a 360 degree reverse somersault in the air (commonly known as a Gainer) trailing a stream of doe urine the whole way and came to rest facing the exact way she was walking.  Fanciest "Pinwheel" deer kill I have ever seen.

the first I shot did a gyroscopic weird thing, not a gainer though.  I shot it front the front (facing me) just to the side and at the top of the breastbone (just to the left of the top of the/it's left shoulder).  the deer jumped sideways and flipped but either had some sideways momentum still or spasmed hard and turned the flip into a cartwheel and a half... so it started as a flip but was twisting counter-clockwise and ended up on it's side.  it hit the ground and all four legs were squeezing together and opening up, three times like it was using a thigh-master for upper and lower legs, and then it was still.  when I checked on it a couple hours later, there was a huge pile of pink foam that looked like fiberglass insulation- but was blood-foam.  the ammo was winchester super-x .308 from about 40yds, and the bullet blew up and took out ribs, lots of organs, a femur, vertebrae (spine not neck).  it was drt and really cool to see but it ruined half the meat and left a bunch of poop inside to wash out.  I'll absolutely never do that again!

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
iw as resting on some falling trees as my mother yes mother (67 this year and still hunting ) came and told me a big buck was walking the bottom of the revine. being the better shooter she would let me take the shot, so we walk back to her spot and see this nice 9 point.  as i look around i see my brother about 75 yards left and down half way near the middle of the revine...the buck was his... so my mother and i got to watch my brother shoot a 9 point with a beed sighted 12 Ga pump and dropped in its tracks at what we walked off to be 108 yards.  

Strange thing was we couldn't find the bullet or the entrace wound. my brother said he raised it about 6 inches over its head and shot. later while butchering it we found the bullet lodged in its neck.  timing must have placed the shot threw its open mouth and into the neck from his throat....  

that was the most wierd or strange thing i have seen...lol  

I'm not a particularly experienced hunter, but anyways I got asked by a kid hunting not far from me to check out his deer (doe, button buck, can't remember) what happened to it.... so I go and look and there is a nice hole right at the "adam's apple" and another at the bottom of the neck where the collar bones would be at on a man.  he told me he rolled it over and didn't see any more holes, and he only shot it once.  I helped him dress and drag that deer out later and saw that it was just one shot so the bullet hit at one end and popped out the other- must have rode the throat or neck bones and popped out.

Offline mike243

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
my very first muzzle loader deer was a button buck,my unckle loaned me a 45 cal H&R, shot a button buck at 40 yards & got to looking to see where i hit it & couldn't.rolled him over & his upper nose wrinkled up,the round ball went into the nostral & run down the roof of the mouth to the brain & cut all the little bones making it limp.last year took the top of the head off of a bbuck that i thought was a doe  :-[
rimfires forever

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
I was trying out my 22 CHeetah several years ago with 60 gr Sierra Hp loaded down to 4060fps .A full grown Texas whitetail doe stood facing me at 127 yards (measured after the shot), the cross hairs were placed on the neck where it meets the body,trigger was squeezed, doe dropped it its tracks....literally! The bullet traveled 16 inches down the spine ,blood shot the front shoulders,ruined both back straps and tenderloins with bone splinters,as well as the tops of the rear hindquarters. I have never before or since seen as much destruction of tissue from a shoulder fired firearm.Since then I use head shots only with the Cheetah,with the same destructive results but limiter to the head, usually removes the brain completely regardless of the angle of entrance.Needless to say Jack Rabbits and Armadillos are very dramatic and not for the squeamish! 
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
Couple of years ago I shot a doe with my 45-70 dead square through the lungs,side to side. It was a bang flop. I had been able to keep the scope on her the whole time, and she landed on her side. With what must have been her last breath a fountain of blood came out of the top bullet hole. It was maybe 4" high and looked to be the diameter of the 45. Only one squirt, and if I hadn't seen it through the scope I probably would never have seen it.