Author Topic: Holy Cow!  (Read 993 times)

Offline Uncle Dave

• Trade Count: (0)
Holy Cow!
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
Took the coehorn to camp this weekend.  We were able to take the various cannons and the like out to a gravel pit on Sunday to make a bit of noise.  I am very pleased with the work that Brooks-USA did on the barrel.  The performance that was achieved exceeded expectations!  Will post some pics ASAP.  Sad to say, the batteries in the camcorder are shot, so even with a full night's charge, there was no juice for a video.  Will rectify that soon.

Offline Uncle Dave

Re: Holy Cow!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
Been really busy as of late.  Could not squeeze much time in for anything but work.  Finally can post a pic of the finished mortar.  I will have to get around to signing up for a YouTube account so that I can post the video of it firing.

I'm very pleased with the final product, but I still need to work up an elevation screw design that I like.  For now, I just fit a short section of the material that I used for the sled body that keeps the barrel at a fixed elevation.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
Looks GREAT!  Next we want to see it in action!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »
That's a good looking mortar. Congrats!!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
You did a fine job on the bed, Dave. On the rear brace it looks like 'THE COEHORN - NOVEMBER 2010', and it appears to be burned very neatly on the wood; how did you manage that?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
I have access to a laser burner through a buddy of mine.  Wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I'm pleased with the results.  I have some excess plank left from the build.  We may attempt to center the image a bit more on another piece, but the machine is new and he's still experimenting with its capabilities.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:59 AM »
Here are a couple of videos of the new mortar in action.  Shooting a wad on aluminum foil in each, as I do not have the needed range to load a golfball in this location.

A heap of thanks to the guys up at Brooks-USA for the awesome job they did on the barrel.

Much thanks goes out to those of you on this board who offered bits of accumulated wisdom to the creation of this build.   8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYqZGf05BDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_3RFcp7n0

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 06:58:01 AM »
That field looks plenty long for golf balls...start with 25 grains and work up. 

The load chart only goes to 1.5 inch bore and maximum load is 500 grains. I wouldn't go any where near that with a golf ball.

Just work up 5 grains at a time. Make notes on how far the golf ball goes for each shot.  When you reach the point where youy can no longer see the ball go or you reach you maximum range back off a bit on the load and start shooting.

I will predict some where around 100 grains you will reach optimum load.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
That wind reminds me of Iowa. 

We've fired beercans (water filled) into the wind - they landed behind us.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)