Author Topic: Opening Day .38 Special Deer  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Opening Day .38 Special Deer
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »
  Well, the gun season has started off well in Texas. Shot a nice fat meat doe yesterday with my S&W Model 10 .38 Special. Load was the Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWC Hollow Point, standard pressure, short barrel, low flash load. Supposed to do about 960fps out of a 4" barrel. Shot was at 22 yards, broadside through the shoulder muscle. Bullet stop barely under the opposite leg's skin, perfect performance had it been a burglar. Deer ran about 35 yards and piled up nicely. I would never again hesitate on using this combo on deer at reasonable ranges. This deer did exactly what the deer I killed with a .357 158 grain Semi-jacketed HP two years ago. In fact, this deer fell within 10 feet of where that deer did. Hope everyone's season is going well!

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Opening Day .38 Special Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
Good Shooting! I have often wondered how my T/C custom shop G2 barrel in
38 spl would do against todays armor plated deer. I guess the old ones were
right about shot placement. I will look at my model 10 with a little more respect
now.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »
good hunting mohawk

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
I wish every state had the same laws in Wyoming your pretty much limited to 41 mag and up.
I have some ruger only 45 ACP loads that will do anything a cast 44 mag will do. They duplicate the
460 Rowland load, but since it's not long enough OAL it's not enough gun. I have the 45 colt cylinder
but no components yet, funny same bullet, same gun, same velocity, wrong headstamp!
Congrats on the deer, good shooting!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
Yeah, I never really bought in to the legislated caliber restrictions. I haven't used anything but a crossbow or a .38/.357 revolver since 2004 and have never had a problem filling the freezer. It is sobering and humbling when you bring a deer down with a .38 quicker than with the same hit from a .243 or .280. I just reverted back to basics....... holes in the lungs are holes in the lungs.... 

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
 While it IS true that holes in lungs are holes in lungs, there are too many "hunters" that cant or wont shoot correctly. I know that any deer can be killed with a .22 rimfire IF...! Some guys will never admit the gun they are carrying is too much for them to handle.So they do NOT practice and gut shoot OR miss every year. Bleeding heart types get the ear of the legislators and complain about wounded Bambis running around their neighborhoods. Theswe are the big money donors who finance the legislators elections. Few hunters will take the time and energy to write a letter (which is looked at as if TEN phone calls were made) about their issues.
  Well, it is too close to Thanksgiving and deer season to start ranting!

Offline leadman

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
Congratulations on the good shooting and clean kill.
Here in Az. you can use a 25acp if you want, anything centerfire. Haven't seen anything during a big game hunt smaller than a 357mag though.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
Same here in Texas. Anything but rimfire. But I think the 38 would be my minimum. I have no plans of a .32-20 handgun hunt....... Well, out of a rifle maybe...... But I was completely impressed with this load. My 10-7 shoots it POA. And there is that trust in a revolver that sits in your nightstand 364 days a year motionless, then it's one day "off", it supplies you with venison. No better than that!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
wasnt there a old saying, beware of the one gun man?he may know how to use it!

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
Good job!!!!

Same goes for South Carolina, anything centerfire goes...But I agree that .38 would be minimum.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
Minnesota went to .224 and larger centerfire a few years back. I have brought along my 58 conversion in 38 special and am waiting for a nice close oportunity.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
LOL... Yes that is my minimum for deer. I may be crazy but I am not nuts! I have studied terminal ballistics and the 38 worked. And at standard pressure!  I am not going to ask precision results from a street gun... But she delivered upon request. She got some sun and delivered meat, beats sitting in a nightstand.... At least a change of pace... for one day. She is back on duty now. Gotta love her!!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »
Your .38 Special kill only reaffirms the fact that shot placement is king. I believe that if people spent more time worrying about how to get in closer to deer, making a good shot and when not to shoot rather than worrying about getting the most powerful caliber on the market we'd have fewer lost/wounded deer. Nice shooting! ;D
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline 223fan

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
Congrats on the deer,I know she'll be tasty.Here in W.V. we can only use 357 mag & up for straight wall cartridges.I have a 357 mag rifle I'm going to use this year
XLI the one to go with.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 08:51:55 AM »
It definately worked as well as the .357 Mag with 158 gr Rem SJHP. I ate on steak last night due to the old Model 10-7. That is never said often. I have used both LRN and 110 gr SJHP but there is no comparison to this Buffalo Bore load. Oh..... if anyone knows..... why is this bullet, 158 gr Soft Lead SWC-HC, have a copper base? I noticed it when I recovered the bullet. 

Offline steve@357maximum.com

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
Mohawk,
I find this all very interesting.  Congrats on your deer.  You asked about a copper base on the lead bullet.  It is probably a gas check made from copper that is crimped onto the base of some lead bullets to prevent bore leading at higher velocities.  I did notice your bullet pictures had a copper look to them.  Possibly, lead bullets with a flash copper plating.
Steve

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
I noticed the base is copper. It is the last 2-3 mm. My first guess was it to keep the bullet together?  That was about the only part of the bullet that plunged forward. Good design! Effective yes!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
Meaning the entire bullet was soft lead.... except the bottom 2-3 mm. Never seen one like that.

Offline Basicguy

• Gray power
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Here in Missouri we need to use a centerfire pistol of any caliber with either hollow points or lead. I went out today and yesterday with my 1911. I saw only one doe but it moved too quick to get a shot.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »
that would be a gas check..protects the bullets from flame cutting and allows faster speeds before leading becomes an issue...
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »
Mohawk

Congrats on the deer and thanks for the pictures.  I killed my 1st deer (black tail) with a S&W 6" barreled M&P using Rem-Peters 158 gr lead RNs.  I also dispatched numerous injured deer with the Winchester 150 gr LSWCHPs +Ps out of a 4" M15. I also killed my 1st elk with a M94 30-30 Carbine. Of course that was all before the internet and now since reading all the "expert advise" I've learned it can't be done.  But between you and me we know it can be done ;)

Larry Gibson

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »
 Thanks, Larry and to all. Years back when it was not regulated I met several ranchers and farmers who thought nothing of putting down deer with a .22 Long Rifle at the time. They would simply shoot them through both lungs, deer would run about 50-100yds and pile up. I never thought a .38 would have much trouble provided a double-lung hit could be achieved. I have used a .38 before at about the same range and the results were never bad. I don't mind tracking a deer several yards. I have actually tracked them further with rifles and crossbows now that I think about it. Overall, I think the double lung hit is the key.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
Meaning the entire bullet was soft lead.... except the bottom 2-3 mm. Never seen one like that.
Sounds like a Gas Checked Bullet.
The put a Copper cup under the bullet.
It helps in the fouling of the gun as well as allows you to drive lead bullets faster than you normally could.
My guess is that Buff Bore loads that same bullet into a 357 mag load at 1200 to 1300 FPS when they need the gas check.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »
Yes, that makes sense. I use to run a cylinder full of jacketed ammo for every 18 rounds of lead to offset the barrel leading. Thanks guys for clarifying.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »
Yeah, I think that if GBO was around in the '70's the world would be a different place. We relied on gun writers to advise us. Now that hunters have a place to talk that opens a whole new can of worms thanks to GB.  And hopefully represses the public editorials which are just to sell bullets. How many different bullets at 3000 fps does someone need to take a deer? Whatever you use please post your experience. Everytime you do you are not only respecting what you love but also proving the local gun rag wrong. If I was the modern gun writer on a 5K a day ranch shooting the most "efficient" weapon I was promoting I would make it as exciting as possible. All about product........ But we , not they, want to hear about the person that grabbed their 9mm or whayever and harvested a deer because their rifle was at home, etc...... Keep up the great work GB.