Author Topic: Cannonball in mercury [vid]  (Read 710 times)

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannonball in mercury [vid]
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »
This might be a bit off topic but here's something a little different for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5D47nG9k4&feature=player_embedded

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Cannonball in mercury [vid]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
Doesn't seem very healthy to me to be standing next to that vat without a mask and other protective gear on.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline keithinvestigations

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
I used to play with mercury as a kid, maybe that's what is wrong with me. :-\
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
As a kid I used to love playing with that stuff too, but I don't remember ever drinking any; or could it be that I don't remember drinking any, because of the effects caused by drinking some? :o
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
Mercury at room temperature has a low vapor pressure (at 20°C, its vapor pressure is 1.2 μm Hg, so it isn't evaporating very fast) and its boiling point is 673.844°F so it's not very close to violent vaporization at room temperature.  Obviously not to drink or wash in but not very dangerous for a short period exposure.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
Floating your cannon ball in a tub of mercury would be a good way of determining which side of the ball had the highest density.  Then you could orientate your cannon balls the same way in the bore using sabots.  This would help to give you the best accuracy.  Too bad it's toxic.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:20 PM »
Too bad it's toxic.

And that much of it would be very expensive, although you wouldn't need more than a couple of quarts to float cannon balls.  At about $8 per pound and about 28 lbs per quart, two quarts would be worth $450.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
Pretty interesting video! Floating cannonballs! Did not know that, thanks for posting it! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:55:23 AM »
Floating your cannon ball in a tub of mercury would be a good way of determining which side of the ball had the highest density.  Then you could orientate your cannon balls the same way in the bore using sabots.  This would help to give you the best accuracy.  Too bad it's toxic.

Could also be done in the lead pot - when smelting WW for casting bullets.  Good idea, Norm!  ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)