Author Topic: Load all 6 chambers?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Load all 6 chambers?
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:23:30 AM »
I got to thinkin...  :-\

I've been carrying my Dragoon with 5 loaded chambers, hammer down on an empty chamber.  Always have done that with my non-transfer bar revolvers.  But I started wondering if it was really necessary with my C&B's.

Reason:  The hammer can be let down between chambers and the cylinder is locked; the revolver will index properly to the next chamber when the hammer is cocked, and the hammer has to be cocked for the cylinder to rotate.  So what's the difference between carrying it with the hammer down on an empty chamber, and the hammer down between chambers?   ???

This is purely academic as there hasn't been any yankee Cavalry hereabouts in quite a while so 5 vs. 6 shots isn't a life or death matter!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: Load all 6 chambers?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:36:48 AM »
for what it's worth, i felt the same way when shootin' my ruger old army. wouldn't try it on a ca'tridge gun tho'. peace out y'all, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »
I've never seen one but I read somewhere, one of Mike Venturino's books I think, that Colt built some cylinders with 12 locking notches for that purpose.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Pat/Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
At the range, always. I do carry my "remmie" loaded all 6. The inbetween notches are more positive than the colts in my experience. The notch in the colts IMO is too shallow, and the "pins" not pronounced enough to ensure a good lock up, with my guns (pietta) it is still possible to move the cylinder on some of the cylinders so my colts are carried with only 5 loaded.The colts by other manufacturers may be more positive, but I have no experience with them. If they lock up positively on all the "pins" why not? I really doubt that most carried a revolver that had a cylinder unloaded, especially C&B, given the amount of time to load even with a "cartridge". Especially during the war of northern aggression, lawmen, or folks "on the trail". Just viewing it from "my window".

Offline kid buckskin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
in my little exp i have found that when i use my 44.40 there is enouff room to seat the firing pin betwen shells when i convert the same pistol to 45 lc it dosent work cause there not enouff room betwen shells thats my peacemaker now my open top in 45lc seating the pin betwen works great

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »
I've never seen one but I read somewhere, one of Mike Venturino's books I think, that Colt built some cylinders with 12 locking notches for that purpose.

I dont believe Colt made any revolvers with 12 notches.  Manhattan Revolvers and the Confederate Rigdon and Ansley revolvers all had 12 bolt stop notches.  They felt it was easier to machine 12 notches in the cylinder than it was to mill a slot in the hammer and install the pins on the back of the cylinder.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »
Some years ago I read that, back when the cap and ball revolver was king, the Colt design was not considered entirely safe. The tiny pins in the cylinder, that mated with a notch in the hammer's nose, had a habit of breaking during rough use.
Thus, it was not uncommon to carry the Colt cap and ball with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
We pamper our cap and ball revolvers today but in its day it saw a lot of hard use. Falling from a horse was a common occurrence, and if you landed on the revolver it was rough on the gun (and your hip, ouch!).
If the pin broke, or the cylinder was somehow forced over and the hammer came to rest on a live percussion cap, this would be easily unnoticed. From then on, the wearer was walking around with an unnoticed accident waiting to happen.
So, the pin breaks. The cylinder indexes over. After chuck, the cowboy throws his saddle on the horse and, to get the stirrup out of the way he puts it over the saddle horn while he tightens the saddle. The stirrup slips off the horn and lands squarely on the exposed hammer of his Colt, which is resting on a live percussion cap. BANG! A bullet is through his thigh or knee!
This isn't fanciful. The late gun writer Elmer Keith said a number of old cowpokes were crippled by this accident, but usually because they'd loaded their SAA with six cartridges insead of five, and left the hammer in its weak "Safety" notch.
At the range, I load all six chambers. In the field, I load five and put the hammer down on the empty chamber. The cylinder cutouts for the nipple are deeper and stronger than the pin.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
Thanks Gatofeo.  I got to say that I thought about and checked my Dragoon a lot more with all 6 chambers loaded.    :-\  Just to make sure the hammer was still resting between cylinders.  Uncertainty probably founded on a lifetime of carrying SA revolvers with the hammer down on an empty chamber.   :-\

I'm sure I'll go back to that way from now on.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Flint

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »
Though Colt may not have put 12 notches in C&B cylinders, they did put them in some conversion cylinders.

One thought is that it may have become a habit to shoot five per string, particularly if you practice CAS a lot, and loading six could lead to accidents if reholstered with a live chamber when you think it's empty.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »
The little NAA Mini revolvers use exatly that method to carry them safe with all five holes filled.  They have a little notch the hammer locks into in the cylinder between the rounds.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.