Author Topic: composite stock for Pre 64 M70?  (Read 743 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
composite stock for Pre 64 M70?
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Since I've been convinced not to trade off my Pre 64 M70 ca 1949-50 (30-06)  - can anybody direct me to a source for a composite stock that will fit the rifle with minimal work?

Moderate price would be nice too but easy fit is more important.

thanks
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: composite stock for Pre 64 M70?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
I realise that it's been several months since you posted, but I was cruising around the board and spotted it today....
I've looked at the McMillan stocks for a long time, and they're good ones, though far from a 'bargain' priced piece.  If they're good enough for Marine snipers, that is, the way they're likely abused and keep working well, they ought to do you well up there.
Take a look, and see what you think.
Otherwise, several stock suppliers make laminates that would hold up well with good sealing and finish.
http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2h
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: composite stock for Pre 64 M70?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
thanks for the link. I'll check it out.  For some reason I didn't think to check McMillan.  I did check out a few other outfits but most of them want to install the stock and charge me more than it would be to buy a whole new gun.  Some of those outfits are clearly worth the cost but I don't have that kind of $.  I have been rethinking this plan lately as I found Midway offering a pre64 Bell and Carlson stock for a moderate price.  If I hadn't just bought my kid a light wt Savage 30-06, I'd be ordering the stock from Midway tonight.

So Darreld, your timing is good.  Thanks
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA