Author Topic: Parnder Pump 20 compact  (Read 768 times)

Offline ryan q

• Trade Count: (0)
Parnder Pump 20 compact
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:33:44 AM »
Basspro Shops has the 20 gauge compact with walnut stock on sale for a few days for $149.99. It has a 21" ribbed barrel and comes with a screw in modified choke. I'm thinking about buying it for my wife so that I have a gun that fits her for the few times she might come to shoot clay sports with me. Plus my 2 year old son will have something to grow into. I'd likely give it to her for CHRISTmas and was thinking I'd buy a more open choke so she'll have a little more success if I start her on the skeet field, IC perhaps? She has never fired a long gun of any sort, she has been to the pistol range before and enjoyed it. What do you think? Will the recoil of a 20 gauge pump and target loads be a good start for her? If this gun sits around waiting for my young son to grow into it did I get it for a good price? I guess I'm hesitant because I'm not sure she'll shoot it a lot, but of course it can't hurt to have her learn to handle it well. Do you think there are better options at a similar price point? Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Parnder Pump 20 compact
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
I bought my wife a pink camo mossberg 500 for christmas and she loves it. She's never going to be a hunter but she's proud of her gun and shoots more now. At least I know that if I'm not home she will be able to defend our home if need be. The mossy is made in the U.S.A. and was not that much more I think around $220.00 from gunbroker. If I can buy a U.S. made product I will. Have not heard a lot of bad reports on the pardner pumps but have heard nothing about the 20ga.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
The 20s are ever so much more civilized that the 12s. Im sure there are some factory light 12 loads but are they cheaper than 2 3/4" 20ga. shells? You gotta be able to afford to shoot it to get good with it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
I agree with markus on this. I looked at the pardner pump. nice gun & a great price. Just couldnt bring myself to buy a gun thats made somewhere else. Too many good guns made in the USA to buy one made in China, I think thats where their made anyways. I was kinda disapointed when NEF started importing them. ryan g no offence is meant to you sir, A compact 20 guage pump would be handy to have around the house.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
i've got a remington 870 compact (almost exactly the same thing but made in the US) and I really like it I originally got it for my son (hes' 2) but I think I'm going to buy him his own because I really like this little pump gun. The standard 20 gause target load really doesn't have much kick to it but I think winchester makes a low recoil 20 gauge trap load good luck with what ever you decide though
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:50:48 AM »
Look for the fiocci 20 gauge Trainer load it is a very light recoiling factory round team that load up with a limbsavor recoil pad and you will have about a softest shooting 20 without going to a gas gun, Kaveman