Author Topic: .444 Marlin, Cast Bullets and Microgroove-Again.  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Heath

• Trade Count: (0)
.444 Marlin, Cast Bullets and Microgroove-Again.
« on: August 11, 2003, 07:43:45 PM »
I am going to try some cast loads in my Marlin .444 with microgroove rifling. I'm planning to cast nominal 240 grain bullets, mostly out of wheel weights. Should I buy a gas check design mould or plain base?
Anybody have any load suggestions?
Thanks,
Heath

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
.444 Marlin, Cast Bullets and Microgroove-A
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 11:50:48 PM »
I generaly use gas checks in the rifles and if it were me and your going to hunt with the load Id be looking at a little bigger bullet.
blue lives matter

Offline The Cast Bullet Kid

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 02:51:02 PM »
http://www.schuetzen.net/marlin.htm
Check this web site for a real insight into Micro Groove.
cheers
TCBK
Cheers

Jeff

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 08:18:37 AM »
:D Hey there Casters,

Just a couple of cents worth.  Had a Marlin with micro grove that shot great with cast bullets.

It was a 44mag. I was shooting a 310gr LBT w/gas checks.

Only problem was the length of the bullet. Because of the the OAL being just a bit on the long side, I need to cycle the action carefully/slowly, but it shot great!

Read in a magazine yesterday one writers opinion that most micro grove barrels shoot cast bullets just fine and if you couldn't get them to shoot the answer might be to have Marlin rebarrel with the Ballard rifling type barrel.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline Newtire

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi Heath,
     Have one of those .444 Marlins & wouldn't swap it for anything.  Not joking, it shoots anything from Lee 200 gr. Flatnose Plainbase up to those big 300 gr. Lee bullets.  It has the slow 1-38" rifling but still shoots the 300 grainers.  Just been using water-hardened wheelweights dropped from the mold, Lee Liquid Alox, sized .430".  Used some .429 bullets that I bought from a company in Oregon and they leaded like crazy so don't go smaller than .430" I'd say, maybe .431 would be better? My favorite load is 20.5 gr. BlueDot and the Lyman 429244.  My son loves those 200 gr. Lee's with 14 gr. BlueDot. Seated the little 200 grainer to 2.430", the Lyman to 2.545", and the big 300 gr. Lee to 2.500" and have no feeding problems in my Marlin.  Use the Lee factory crimp die and all is good.  No filler of any kind and magnum primers.
     Hope this helps.
                                                                 Newtire