Author Topic: There I was!  (Read 764 times)

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
There I was!
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Well, there I was, satisfied with the guns I had.  Sure, I had the occassional twinges of desire for this or that, but I put them down.  Then a fateful phone call one day from a guy I work with, "you still want to sell that 1911"?  "Sure do" I say.  A deal was made, items changed hands and I had a wallet flush with some extra cash.  First on the list was an LCP, that's for another section of the forum though.  Second was more of a "what else do I desire" type of thing.  One of the sweeps through the local dealers wares revealed a NEF Handi in .223 with a semi-bull barrel. Hmm, what to do?  I let it ride, putting down the desire for a time.  Thoughts are an evil thing!  Two weeks later I stopped back in, still trying to talk myself out of it, and it was still there, darn it! 

In no time at all, a deal was struck, cash exchanged and papers filled out and I now have my first Handi!  An quick internet search led to here, a little research and I discoverd it is a vintage 1993 model.  My new coyote getter!  It was topped with a 4x Tasco that was barely hanging on, the screws were just finger tight, and has some slight surface rust that will get removed and covered with a paint job, but is in otherwise good shape.  It now sports a 3-9x Bushnell I had laying around, if it is a shooter it will get something better in the future.  All I need now is some time and daylight to wring it out!

I want a good baseline to start with before I begin to tinker too much with it.  I'm planning a trigger job, it's pretty stiff, and whatever else I need to do, or not do, to make it perform it's best.

Thanks for the great trove of info on these interesting rifles.

T

han
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: There I was!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Wow, start readin pal  :D
Welcome to the premere site for them handis,,do read the FAQ's (several times)
* take the scope rail off, clean the factory thread sealer out, bed and re-install
* alot of the advise is about forearm fitting, you just want to be sure it's not adding pressure to one spot or another and/or not loose and wobbling,
* check barrel fit without the forearm on, any wiggle or gaps?
* do read the FAQ's (several times)
* these things benefit greatly with hand loaded ammo
* check the twist rate, the .223 is/was available in 1-12 and 1-9. Both handle 55grn bullets well

Oh, and read the FAQ's,,several times. There's sooooo much info in that list,,link's to link's to photo's and drawings and more links,,,
found elsewhere

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »
Yep!  Been reading the  FAQ's and the Basics too!  Covered the first 10 pages of listings also!  That's one reason I want to get a good baseline on the gun before I go tinkering!  The gun seems nice and tight at this time.  I want to shoot it even before I do a thorough cleaning of the barrel as I have read some like it dirty......

Now, all of that reading has me wanting another and I haven't even shot this one!  .45 Colt, .308 and 45-70 oh my!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
found elsewhere

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »

He, he, he!!!  I see another Handi holic in the making. ;D ;D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »
 First let me welcome you to Gray Beards. This is a great site and one of the most informative gun sites you will find. Loads of great smart helpful folks here.

Second  GET RID OF THAT HANDI!!! they are an addiction. Read your post. You bought one and already want a couple more. All heck who am I kidding, you are already bit. Just don't tell anyone ;)

About your gun. H&R's like to be dirty(as you stated) most .223's like the 55 gr. They do not like to get hot. Let cool between shots. Check your forend to barrel contact. Most like to have a gap between barrel and forend. Slip an oring on the barrel lug between forend and barrel. Trigger jobs are not real hard. I am a gun dummy and I did it. Instructions in the FAQ at the top of the page(in the H&R rifle section) Loads of great info in there.

Add .357 .44 .30-30 to your want list  :)

Lonny

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:23:52 AM »
Welcome.

You'll learn a lot here, but hangin' around will result in more expenditure! :)

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:51:36 AM »
I'm taking responsibility for the first one I bought......I'll be blaming all the others on you guys!  A .45 BC is going to be a perfect mate to my Blackhawk!

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »
Welcome to GBO (the most addicting forum on the web) Nowhere will you find as nice of folks and all around good people.This is not an addiction stopping place , however we all do our part to propagate the sickness ;D ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »

He, he, he!!!  I see another Handi holic in the making. ;D ;D

In the making? He already is one. He landed here.
Welcome!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
I took my.223 Handi and had a (gunsmith) friend re-chamber it to .225 Winchester.  I'm not a fan of rimless cartridges in the Handi.  I really, really wanted a 219 Zipper, but it can't be done in a 223 Handi, so I settled for the 225.

Shoots wonderfully, less than minute of angle.  I worked up a handload with the Nosler 60 grain partition that does over 3200 fps.

Next you gotta go for the .45 Colt!  And then of course the .45-70, the .30-30  . . .  you see where this is going.

Good luck and have fun, we are!

Cat

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
These Handi's is addictin'.  There is no antidote nor cure.  Just keep on buying them, that will satisfy for a while.  Then when you've got a bunch, double down and make custom calibers out of them.  I'm thinkin' Tim must have about 3000 or so by now........or maybe not quite that many....... ;D

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy  the Handi.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
Ben's right on, at least about Handi's being addicting, I only have tho 47 though..........so far!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain