Author Topic: Drop Camp Options  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Drop Camp Options
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Anyone here ever do a drop camp with an outfitter? How did that work out? Seems like that would be a nice way to go. I like the fact that it costs less than a fully guided hunt and I like to hunt on my own anyway, but would like the help with the camp chores, cooking, packing out game, etc. And since I don't know many areas out west, I figure if I pick a good outfitter and location for a drop camp I would hopefully have a better than average chance at connecting.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Drop Camp Options
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
We do the drop camp thing. Many plusses as far as I'm concerned.

Cost is a big one, $2000 per man. Guided hunts are going for about $3000 here and I can cook a lot and sleep on cots for $1000.

Related to cost is the area we are hunting and game and remoteness. 5 bulls for 5 hunters this year, 10 miles to our camp by horseback without the outfitter access.

Top notch gear is provided by outfitter. Gear alone would make this an extra several hundred dollars per man.

Horseflesh is not cheap, and the better the elk ground the more likely you are going to need horses. That cost will never go away, they never quit eating. Have you priced a truck that will haul an elk camps worth of horses plus gear, how about the fuel, staggers my imagination.  The outfitter comes in and packs out the meat and provides cooler/locker service if needed. It has always been cool enough that it wasn't a concern and we do our own processing.

We pre cook and freeze a hot meal for each evening meal, and buy breakfast foods and cold cuts and snacks locally. It all goes in a couple coolers with some dry ice. Your individual camp and its location will dictate what works there.

It would take about an extra week of vacation time just for camp erection and teardown. I just don't have the time to afford that... and stay happily married.

On the down side is the $2000 we cough up for the outfitter. Given where I live and who I know I can't see getting into the mountains onto good game any less expensively.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »
Thanks. All the things you mentioned are the reasons I have been thinking about doing another hunt this way. Can you tell me what outfitter(s) you have used? Sounds like you would recommend them.
NRA Life Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
Having friends that live in the areas you'd like to hunt would be a great way to get all the info you need to do a DIY hunt. I did a drop camp hunt about 35 years ago and it was a joke. Ended up liking the area enough to move here. Perhaps if you'd let us know where you would like to hunt, one of the guys here could help you with any questions you may have. As for myself, I am not an outfitter and have never charged for anything but now count as good freinds, a dozen guys from all over the country that I met and ended up hunting with thru this and other BB's. I have a hunt planned this year with two guys from North Dakota and two from Louisiana for elk near where I live in Wyoming, IF they can draw tags. I had a great hunt with the guys from North Dakota this fall for Pheasant. So if you'll be a bit more specific of where you'd like to hunt, I'm sure you'll get plenty of info and maybe meet a lifelong hunting partner in the process. Good Luck!
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Hey Dogshooter, Good advice. Unfortunately I am really not sure about those details. All I know is I did a guided antelope hunt this fall in WY and fell in love with western style hunting. I also did a trip with the family in the summer and toured a bunch of the country from Col Springs to Durango to Grand Canyon. Love that country. I spent way too much money on those trips and need to figure out a way to do it much cheaper. As far as location, the only detail I can give ya' is that I'm thinking the next trip is for elk in either northwest WY, maybe Bridger-Teton Wilderness area near Pinedale or Jackson, or maybe somewhere in the Bighorns. Durango, CO area seemed real pretty too, so maybe would check into that area.
NRA Life Member

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
My outfitter is booked up, so my advice would be to look to the outfitter trade assn. in the state you choose. Depending on what unit you choose and what tag you are willing to accept you might want to talk to several guides. Just because you have an outfittter chosen doesn't mean you will be drawn for that unit.

The fact you don't have a destination in mind isn't really that bad, you have many more options open to you. A buddy has a cabin in Mt. and was not drawn for an elk tag this year, though he ended up with a nice deer later on.

Another source are the ads in the back of the Bugle magazine. It is published by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I got my foot in the door where I am now through RMEF volunteering at the local level. I knew enough to know I couldn't afford to elk hunt on my own and would need some help.

I can understand your feelings about the western hunting experience. Truth be told, I'm about ruined for whitetail hunting. I spend about one minute thinking about deer hunting for every hour daydreaming of elk camp.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
If you were gonna do one elk hunt in your lifetime where would you go? I'm looking for an area with the right combination of scenery and decent numbers and size animals. I'm not into taking a B&C bull. More into the experience and scenery. That said where would be best?
NRA Life Member

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm partial to the drier climates. I believe Utah is the prettiest state I've been in. I haven't been able to hunt there though so have no recommendations. My hunting partners think southeastern Idaho is pretty special. They say they are too old for the terrain ( 65 - 79yrs) I'm a child in their eyes (48) and they tell me I need to go there.

The dense forests make me strangely uncomfortable. I grew up on the prairies and have to see the horizon to be comfortable I think. The more arid mountains allow for longer sighting distances. I find North Dakota to be just fine for instance.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43:43 AM »
Thanks Empty Quiver. Good input. Will have to investigate those areas. Wish I could get out west to scout the areas to check out the scenery before picking an area to hunt but since that is not feasible, I'll have to rely on the experience and input of others to some degree. That antelope hunt my son and I did in WY was nice, but the area we hunted was not the prettiest of places. Kind of industrial, not exactly pristine. I suppose much of the area is like that, but that's why I want to carefully choose the hunt area for the next time.
NRA Life Member

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:14:03 AM »
You ought to consider going to an Elk Foundation banquet.

Just about anybody you talk to there has been "out among 'em". $55 gets you supper, a fixed blade Buck knife and a years subscription to Bugle magazine. Play a few games to help keep a homeless elk off the mean streets. Might win yourself some pretty nice kit or possibly a rifle. Larger chapters auction off hunts regularly.

The deer and turkeys are getting along pretty well these days. Elk are getting a foot into some eastern states. Your money isn't wasted on administration expense, RMEF is very highly rated in this regard. Elk in the Adirondacks? Who would have thought they would be back in Kentucky, Pennsylvania or Tennesee? Not just specimens, but huntable herds.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »
I will check out RMEF. I seem to recall some talk years ago of reintroducing elk to the Catskills, but it never got anywhere. With CWD identified in NY a few years ago, I'm sure folks are real hesitant now.
NRA Life Member

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
Area 92 and 94 both have good elk populations and are federal and state land for the most part. I have hunted both of these areas for over 30 years now. If you are interested in hunting Wyoming as a non-resident, be aware that you need to have your applications for elk and deer in  by the end of January. Good luck on your draw wherever you decide to hunt.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
Not to discourage you from hunting anywhere, but if you like the open Western landscape, stay away from N. Idaho.  I am not saying this as a joke, our forests are very thick and shots  can be as close as 20 yards.  It is much like hunting whitetails in the thickest  stuff you can imagine, then add in steep hills, animals with better senses, and wolves running and howling all around you.  Some people get lucky in this country, but it sometimes takes a week of hunting hard just to get a glimpse of an elk.  I would suggest you stay in the more arid areas as some one else arleady mentioned.  In Idaho, most of the country from the Lewiston area and the Clearwater river south to Nevada and Utah will be more open than the North.  Good luck.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"