Author Topic: Got a lube / time ?  (Read 945 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Got a lube / time ?
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:00:51 PM »
Ok guys , how about this one ?

How long after lubing & sizing do you let your bullets set before loading ? I have been waiting around 3 weeks to let the lube set well ( kinda soft lube ) before I load the bullets but was wondering if I need to wait that long .

I need to load a few hundred 45 LC rounds for a shoot next weekend and am trying to avoid having to buy bullets . = I'm a cheep sob sometimes  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Online JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Got a lube / time ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
I've never had any problems loading them the same day that I lube & size them. I use 50/50 beeswax/alox.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Thanks Joe , my mix is 50% carnuba wax , 40% vasoline and 10% alox .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
I load them shortly after I size and lube them, Or else the next day. I like the carnauba red from White Label Lubes
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Been trying some different combo's to see what works best , its a work in progress .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:23:40 AM »
A few years back I played around with making my own lube, and there are some very good recipes out there, but for the price Lar,s charges for his White label lubes, I go exclusively with it now. And He is a great guy, if you shoot him an e-mail, and let him know what you are doing, he will get back to you with his recommendation for the right lube.
WWW.Lsstuff.com/lube

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
I size, lube & load the same day, sometimes in less than an hour.

stimpy, are you using Lee Liquid Alox in that mix? If yes, that could be why the lube is so soft.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:26:03 AM »
I size, lube & load the same day, sometimes in less than an hour.

stimpy, are you using Lee Liquid Alox in that mix? If yes, that could be why the lube is so soft.

Yep , I was wondering if that was the cause of the lube being slightly softer than the comm stuff that I was using , the next batch will have only 5% alox and more carnuba to see if that stiffens it up .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »
I have been waiting around 3 weeks to let the lube set well ( kinda soft lube ) before I load the bullets but was wondering if I need to wait that long .

There should be no need for all that waiting, Most lube will be as hard as it's going to get shortly after it cools.
Unless one or more of the ingredients needs to flash off ( evaporate, as in a solvent ) Some may react to room or outside Temp. but that could be a false indication unless you are trying to custom make a lube for hot or cold weather.  I, like many others lube, size and shoot the same day.

my mix is 50% carnuba wax , 40% Vaseline and 10% alox .

Carnuba wax is a very hard wax and most times is used to harden up a lube and some folks like it because it shines the bore.  It is also quite expensive for most to use that much. 
  Ok so the Carnuba is very hard wax and you say your lube is soft and long drying. Why?
The Carn. wax should be hard at room Temp. in a short while, The Vaz. will never harden, and the alox may be just messing the mix up.  Bees Wax and alox 50/50 would be a better choice with perhaps 10% Carn.
  You are taking a very hard none sticky wax ( Carn. ) and mixing it with two greasy none drying other things.
If you must use the Carn. then cut the Vasoline and Alox. till you get what you want.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:11:27 AM »
Gray-Wolf

Changed my mix again and that helped a ton , now I'm using a mix of 50% carnuba , 20% bees wax , 15% vaseline and 15% alox , didn't work worth a d--- for Pan Lubing = way too hard , yet does wonders in my Lyman 4500 as long as I keep the heat on it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »
i wouldnt cut back on the alox. The alox is the main lubricant in your lube. for the most part wax of any kind isnt really a lubricant its a carrier for the lubricant. I agree with lone wolf in that if i did anything with your lube id either go with 50percent alox and beeswax and add corduba to get it a bit harder if you need it or mix 5050 corduba/alox and use the vasoline to soften to a consistancy that your happy with
blue lives matter