Author Topic: difference on Mod 158 frame vs shotgun frame??  (Read 639 times)

Offline safari435

• Trade Count: (1)
difference on Mod 158 frame vs shotgun frame??
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
I was wondering were the difference between the H&R Mod 158 frame and a NEF shotgun frame or rifle frame is?

My Mod 158 came with a 30-30 barrel and I asume it is safe to shoot! As I understand NEF doesn't fit a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame.... So is the 158 frame stronger than a shotgun frame?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: difference on Mod 158 frame vs shotgun frame??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
For intent and purposes, strength wise they are about the same.
 One is ductile steel the other cast. Different materials, but considered the same SB1 classification as for as strength.

The only "rifle" barrels are actually pistol caliber barrels and that's the 357 magnum and 44 magnums.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »
Both the old H&R frames and SB1 frames are ductile cast iron, only SB2 frames are steel.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
I certainly 'havent heard it all', but I've never heard of a 158 in 30-30 failing.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
NEF did not make the 158,  H&R inc did.  This is how it is intended.  It is prefectly safe I have one myself.  Prior to 1986 there was no sb1 or sb2,  they were all the same.  Enjoy.
Chris

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
I certainly 'havent heard it all', but I've never heard of a 158 in 30-30 failing.

I haven't either and have 3 of the pre-bancrupt models in 30-30. Like the slim profile barrels and for the most part that is why I keep and use them.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »
I think you will find the difference is in the barrels.  On the older ones the underlug is silvered on and on the newer ones it is welded.  Which is better and which is cheaper to do is up for discussion.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
NEF did not make the 158,  H&R inc did. Yuup a company which nolonger exists. This is how it is intended.  It is prefectly safe I have one myself. Well I (and others) kinda/sorta hope you are right. All I know is after every shooting session I really look mine over close and stay with the loads outlined in my Hodgdon #26 manual that gives the pressures for the lighter bullets (130 grain) Given that some of these were shot a bunch of times, I'm not super confident they won't fatigue, and I'm 100% convinced not to shoot mine without shooting glasses or leather gloves on. Prior to 1986 there was no sb1 or sb2,  they were all the same. And therein lies the problem. The same what? No one can say with certainty what they will stand up to. Enjoy.But check often.

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I shoot 150Grain bullets in mine But I dont shoot often maybe a couple rounds to make sure it is still sighted and the rest is just huntin.  30/30 is just to expensive to bang all day like a .22.  My barrel was made for that frame so I have no reason to doubt it.  Any man made object is subject to failure at some point so couple that with some common sense and you should be fine.  Does anybody know why H&R inc went out of business in the first place?  It is hard to believe that sales would drop to the point of bankruptcy.  Was it a lawsuit,  if so what was it over?
Chris