Author Topic: New to fourm with a new NEF 45-70  (Read 583 times)

Offline mattbowen

• Trade Count: (0)
New to fourm with a new NEF 45-70
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
I am new here and I would like to say hello to all, a friend of mine wanted my 260 so I traded it to him for his NEF 45-70 and am champing at the bit to shoot it. once I  git the molds I will be loading up some more round but I would like a few suggestions on the weight bullet may work best. I know that each rifle has its own personality and this one will be no different so I guess what I am wanting is a starting point.

Thanks in advance

Matt   
Draw Me Not Without reason, Sheath Me Not Without HONOR

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: New to fourm with a new NEF 45-70
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
39.2 gr of IMR 4198 under a 300gr jacketed hollow sp is a mild to medium load that gives me superb accuracy.

Bobby

By the way, welcome and take some time to read the FAQs ;)
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
Hello Matt, Welcome to GBO forums congrats on the 45-70 Handi, Prob be the first of many more,
you will be addicked To handi's Datil

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Hi Matt- Welcome to your new home. You will love the 45-70, I don't think I have read about anybody not liking theirs and the accuracy is astounding. (mine and many here) I like heavy jacketed loads for hunting but for just plain fun plinking try 12 gr of Trail Boss with a 405 cast bullet. (check the Hogden site for the load) it will hit about a foot higher than your hunting loads (we leave the open sights sited for TB and the scope for hunting loads.) Just make sure to shoot the w/the scope before a hunt to make sure it is still lined up after re-installing it.
I don't have my hunting loads written up here but I have one for the 405 remington w/IMR 4198 And also one for the remington 300gr H.P and IMR 4198. PM me if you  don't get enough recipies and I will be happy to share. Just watch the scope when you shoot the 405s it can catch you if you lean over the gun on a bench. Standing shooting while hunting isn't so bad, but the bench shooting may get your attention real quick. :-[ trust me, I know.
 Welcome and enjoy the gun.
thejanitor

Offline mattbowen

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »
Thank for the welcome and replies, I will most likely be using cast bullets most of the time even for hunting and just using iron sights, were I hunt the longest shot is about 107yds. so I don't a scope. I have used a scope all the time for hunting and want to get proficient with the irons. I would like ti get
a ladder rear sight foe it. I have some trail boss and may have some 4198 so I will try them what type of filler do y'all use. I was reading that 3031 under a 300 grain would be a compressed load but I don't know about the recoil.

Thanks again

Matt     

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:04:01 AM »
Good morning, welcome and Merry CHRISTmas!!!

There is a wealth of information here on our grand ol' 45/70 gubment!!

As mentioned 4198 is a popular powder. ( it's what I use for my 300 gr handi loads. ) but 3031 is the old stand by. I also load RL7 with 400 gr Speers to 2000fps in my Browning and Marlin rifles. ( the handi handles these loads fine, just my shoulder objects)
For an excellent lead bullet load look at XMP 5744 powder.  It's a newer powder designed expressly for lead bullets. It works very well in cavernous casings like the 45x 70,90,100,120 as well as the 50x70,90,100,120.
I have a Couple of molds I like. One is an old H&G 450ish spritzer and another is a flat nose 420grs of coarse this varies with your lead mix. Both shoot very well, although I haven't shot any gamewith either.
Good luck with yours. It's a favorite here and for very good reason it's a grand old caliber!!
Happy holidays,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Shu

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »
Welcome to the boards and it looks like you got the correct caliber. ::)

I use 12 -17 grains of unique with a 400 grain lead bullet. Velocity is about 900 fps with 12 grains and about 1300 fps with 17 grains. The 17 grains is max. It is a nice fun load and very cheap to shoot. No recoil, very little noise. It is great for 100 yrd or less shots. The other guys here got some faster loads if thats what you want.

The FAQ section is a great compilation of  a huge knowledge base, if you can't find the answer there you may not have a handi rifle. (lol)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:26:51 AM »
To me, The .45-70 is the Premier Handi Rifle.  Take the time to learn it and your loads, and you can hit about anything you can see......and put it down.  Thejanitor and I share some loads.  If you put a scope on that rifle, beware of the .405 loads running at 1900+ fps.  Off the bench, they're nose breakers and eyeglass wreckers.

Enjoy your rifle.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:25:22 AM »
To me, The .45-70 is the Premier Handi Rifle.  Take the time to learn it and your loads, and you can hit about anything you can see......and put it down.  Thejanitor and I share some loads.  If you put a scope on that rifle, beware of the .405 loads running at 1900+ fps.  Off the bench, they're and NOSE BREAKERS  eyeglass wreckers.

Enjoy your rifle.

Pete

HEY now!!! I resemble that remark!!! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mattbowen

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Thanks again guys for the reply, When my buddy brought "Thumper" over last night he also gave me 20 rounds that he loaded up (350gr jacketed flat cup point) I don't know what or how much powder he used butI took it out in the back yard a sighted him in at 100 with iron sights and all I can say is

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get my molds and I sure can't wait to take him hunting maybe this weekend..

Thanks again

Matt