Author Topic: would cold cause me to lose my waypts in a Legend HCX?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
would cold cause me to lose my waypts in a Legend HCX?
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:29 PM »
I went out wood cutting today with m snomobile. A new feature in our area is that we have to buy a permit now and log our usage on Native lands.  I figured I'd mark my spot to determine who's land I'm on, State or Native.  I know I'm close to the boundaries.

Well it was about -10 to -15F when we got out there.  I keep the unit in an inner pocket close to my body.  I whipped it out. Marked the spot. Turned it off and replaced it in my pocket.  Working hard I had to open my coat and shirt to cool off and vent off the sweat.  But the Garmin was still in a pocket and somewhat under my coat.

Tonight I wanted to check my location. I fire up the unit and I have NO waypoints.  I have close to 100 different spots marked etc all over the area. I might have to reload the maps that were in it too.

I have fairly new Lithium Energizers in it and they seem full power now that we're warm again.  After marking the spot I never checked them again.

But there's a chance the unit got pretty cold.  I had frost all over my fleece vest and shirt front that was open to the air while working.

Could cold mess up the chip in the unit or other memory?

I'm very relieved that I had downloaded all may waypoints earlier this winter so I was easily able to reload them.  But I lost my wood cutting wp.

If anybody has some insight on this I'd sure appreciate it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: would cold cause me to lose my waypts in a Legend HCX?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »

Dand the specs for the Legend HCx 5˚low and 158˚F high; Page 45 of the Legend HCx manual. 

I am surprised that it lost the stored data.  I am wondering if somehow it did a reset on you.

The lowest temperature I have used a Garmin gps in was -15˚early one morning and it was above 32˚ by noon. I was using a Garmin 76Cx that morning and had no problems that morning.  I was using a layer system and it was under a couple of layers part of the time.  But it was also out in the air for longer periods.  It might have gotten colder on me but that is what it was when I left the PU.

I do not recall how long you have had it, but if it is still under warranty you might want to load your waypoints and see if the unit continues to operate.  It might have failed because of a non-temperature issue.  Again I would call Garmin regarding a warranty issue.

I am currently facing an issue with my 76Cx and it is out of warranty and the fix price for it is $110 plus shipping.

As much as I like the Garmin’s when they are working I believe they have had some quality control issues the last couple years.  The problem is that it takes time to establish a trend.  Some of the problems do not show up until they are out of warranty or users start talking.

In the past Magellan had issued with an older model.

If a reload does not work for you I recommend you reset the unit to factory specs and start over.  If need I can give you the reset steps, it will clean out your unit and you will start back where you began at time of purchase.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
Yeah Sisk, a call to Garmin might be in order.  Wish I'd had time today.

But I also got to thinking (best I can at least).... when out on that trip I also reset the trip calculator. I'm wondering if I somehow managed to reset the whole unit.

No way to know.

I have a job outside most of the day tomorrow. I'll take it out and see how it does.

But its warmed way up to low 20s now.

thanks
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
Dand depending on how you have the trip calculator setup you might have cleared the works with the Reset on the trip calculator.  That did not cross my mind. :o

Normally I have the Trip Calculator on my unit’s setup so that only the top five items are checked to clear.  I feel the bottom the bottom four items, Clear Track Log, Delete Saved Tracks, Delete All Waypoints, and Delete All Routes relate to high investment items and are better dealt with otherwise.  I do not want to accidently delete the bottom four items.  I can see how it could happen.

You were wise to have backed the information up on your computer.

Enjoy the January heat wave!
 ;D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
I just looked at my unit - getting ready to download maps again.  I checked my reset settings and I only have the top 4 marked, but I see where I could possibly have accidentally hit Select All - especially with cold fingers and in a hurry.  Seems a good chance that might have been my problem. 

I wonder if I could get rid of that select all option?

Huh! just realized that with my new computer I didn't transfer over  the Garmin Topo US 100K. Gotta do that so I can reload maps onto the unit.

Wow what a few misguided key strokes can do!

thanks for the advice Sisk - hey did you ever get a hunt in and how did it go?

Dan
NRA Life

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
Dan,

I did get out for bear a few days.  After being down with shingles for two months I was not in the best of shape, but I did get a little mileage on my pacs.  Most of the country I hunt is steep so movement over snow and ice has a risk element, so I just took it slow.  I ended up on my butt a couple of times.  I also had a flash that I should have packed my crampons for the trip.  That way I could have gotten into real trouble. 

The trip is what my soul needed.  Being around long time hunting buddies was the medicine I needed.  No bear taken and only came across the track of a yearling.  The bear was in country where the slope ran about 75% and he did a little disappearing act on us.  I marked the location on my gps, but feel he went back downhill into a drainage.  I knew in my condition I would not make it back out if I continued to follow.  I had fought fire on the same slope almost 40 years ago and it was tough then.  Mixing old logging slash with a steep slope, ice and snow is a recipe for a broken leg.

I had a good time and it was the refreshing pill I need to get the mind and soul on the right track for the New Year.

Illegal baiting might have taken one or more bear out of the primary area we were targeting.  Normally there are a lot of tracks and sightings in the area but suddenly the bear disappeared.  Bait piles had been found.  It is illegal to bait in California.

Switching computers can blind side a user.  In the past I have backed up on CD’s.  But I now have a 1TB external hard drive that I back data on.  The problem is that I am not as organized as I should be.

I used the Rino 530HCx daily on the trip for tracking our location and creating waypoints.  I have become gps dependant, and did not pull my old Ranger Compass out of my daypack.  I used the radio side of the Rino to update us on the weather because a number of storm cycles moved in and out of the area.   

Wife’s were not totally happen with us old guys being out in the woods but we gave them a daily trip plan, and called on cellphones with a location when we had service . 

I believe the bear take was down this year because of early storms with heavy snow.  During the mild years I believe many of the bears do not go into hibernation.  But this year was/is strange the highest peaks got up to 200 inches of snow but elevation and temperature was a controlling factor with the cutoff point being around 4500 feet.  There was snow lower but not heavy, it was more rain.  Most of our storms came directly off the Pacific and not down from Alaska.  When the forecast calls for a storm moving out of Alaska I add a few more loads of wood to the back deck.

I can see where hitting the wrong buttons on a gps in cold weather can happen.  I have not been out on a snowmobile in a long time, but I normally wore Nomex flight gloves under heavy gloves when on a snowmobile.  That way I had some trigger control when needed and I could operate a radio or gps.  Admittedly the coldest conditions I worked in did not come close to those faced by Alaskans, and Canadians. 
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5466&tabid=548&catid=2059

(Read the reviews.)  Dave from WV is an old birdman who likes the nomex gloves.

Of course the Nomex gloves alone are not great in real cold weather.  At one time, before Sears, K-Mart carried a green and leather shooting glove in the Sporting Goods department.  They were a little warmer and I have worn a few pair out.  A guy could work his gps and shoot wearing them.  I have purchased some gloves designed for craftsmen at Home Depot and they a second best replacement for nomex gloves.  It is hard to beat the fit of nomex gloves, but they well not keep the hands warm for long in real cold.

At times I wear gloves when hunting in warm weather because the vegetation and sharp rocks tear up the hands. At times I hunt deer and quail in whitethorn country, whitethorn is also known as “Deer Ice Cream.”  The long thorns are sharp.

Bottom Picture.
http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/chaparralwhitethorn.html

Lloyd how does the DeLorme hold up in real cold?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
Glad you got out Sisk - It IS healing to do so.  Funny tho how we did so well before all these gadgets came along - 'course we were younger then too.
That buckthorn sure is pretty in bloom but those thorns look nasty.
I usually wear light knitted glove liners in cold weather but they can reduce my dexterity on the gps. So I usually take it off to push buttons.
I'll just need to be more careful and not such a rush - I was so eager to get wood I didn't want to fool w the GPS that day.
Good point on backing up. And I even have an external hard drive but for some reason didn't transfer data to it from the old machine, or maybe didn't get it moved over to the new one.
Think I'll back up to the external HD right now before I forget.

Next need to pry the boys off the Wii and go look for rabbits with the snogos. We got over a foot of snow this week and any trails will be fresh.  Good opportunity to check out the GPS too.

Have a good one.

NRA Life

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
Could there be an internal battery that is about to give up? The cold weather having exacerbated the issue? No idea really but just a thought.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

I believe all the eTrex models have flash memory and do not need a power source to retain stored data.  Earlier Garmin units did have internal batteries and I believe those units are out of warranty and no longer supported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Page 1 of the eTrex HC manual; remove the batteries when you do not to use the unit for several months.  Stored data is not lost when batteries are lost.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:27:54 PM »
Empty, at this point & with time to reflect, I'm more inclined to think the loss was operator error and not cold weather. It was near 0 for the 3 hours we were out today and it looks like my Legend came thru fine. I didn't get quite as hot today but I did have all my layers opened up. The GPs might have been a little more sheltered this trip.  I wasn't willing to leave it out to freeze just to check.

Darn and no rabbits. But plenty of exercise post-holing thru the new snow.
NRA Life

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »
Just like that you gonna admit to doing it yourself? :o  I would rather go out and buy a new one. ;)
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**