Author Topic: Big Bertha took a Bird  (Read 716 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Big Bertha took a Bird
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
This weekend kicked off the 2nd half of Kentucky's fall turkey season.  Big Bertha (my 10 gauge) took a hen today.  I have meat in the freezer!  It was a cold, but good morning.  I was out of the woods in time for church. 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Big Bertha took a Bird
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Nice work! Any pictures of the bird or gun?
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
Not of my bird, it was a smallish hen.  Hens are all in see during the fall season.  I have no idea where the toms go around here.  My 10 gauge is the bone stock turkey gun.  Its got the black painted wood, and the factory brass bead sight. 

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
How bad is the KICK?
Chris

Offline grumpyErik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
I think of the 10 gauge as a gentle giant; compared to the 12 gauge 3.5" gun, it does not kick near as bad.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »
The kick isn't bad.  I sure dont notice it while hunting, but that is only one shot.  I'm sure testing loads at the bench would be a chore.  I've been toying with the idea of getting the 10 gauge slug accessory barrel for years.  I dont need it and I'm not sure how much I would use it, but you know, it would be really cool. 

Alternately I toy with the idea of getting the 12 gauge USH barrel and having the factory fit open sights.  I would want to have it cut down to 20 inches as well.  I have 5 boxes of Dixie Slugs slug loads collecting dust and have nothing to shoot them in right now.