Author Topic: Tree Stand Hunters - how do you shoot the "opposite" direction?  (Read 932 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Tree Stand Hunters - how do you shoot the "opposite" direction?
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:27 AM »
The best stand that I have right now places me at the bottom of a fork of two trails.  Deer come out of their bedding areas traveling north and will pick one of the two trails which run parallel for about 100 yards with 30 yards of woods between the two.  My stand is placed in the middle of those woods so that I'm facing north. The deer usually travel on the west trail which makes shooting easy because the angle is perfect (for me as a right-handed shooter).  However, the deer showed me again who's the boss last night by traveling on the east trail and helping me see that I have no plan for turning in my stand to shoot to the right. 

I tried turning slowly but the last of the three does spotted enough movement to spook and I couldn't get turned fast enough to get a shot off.  Do any of you fellow hunters have the same problem?  Or have deer gotten away from you for the same reason?  If I'd had my handgun it would have been much easier to simply shoot to the right but turning my entire body proved to be too much.  Any of you practice shooting in the "opposite" orientation?

I did shoot a deer off this stand  to my right back in 2008 but the deer was traveling west to east and I had time to set up while she was in some woods before she broke cover. 

I'm still a pretty inexperienced deer hunter (this is my fifth season) and I hadn't planned for or foreseen this being a problem.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Tree Stand Hunters - how do you shoot the "opposite" direction?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:09 AM »
On a couple occasions, I have taken shots from the left shoulder on deer that were at an awkward angle.  Bottom line is sometimes the placement of the stand dictates your angle of fire, and not much you can do about it.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »
Dunno what kinda stand you have so it's hard to say just what method might be best. But one thing that helps greatly is one of the many camo net surrounds on the market these days. They hide your movements extremely well when you have to twist or turn to make the shot. If you don't have one I suggest you get one.

Generally a slight twist in the seat is adequate to shoot to your right until the deer is about even with you and going behind. Then a complete turn is needed to pull it off. I've shot deer at all sorts of angles even directly behind the tree I'm facing away from.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
In my climber, I try to make sure I'm standing for the last hour or so of daylight, that makes moving and turning easier.  Shot left handed on one a few years back as the deer was behind and to the right and I just could lean far enough around the tree for a right handed shot.  Camo netting like GB said.  Moving REAL slow is can be good too.  It seems like if you can keep movements up tight and close to the body without moving your hands, elbows etc outside of the dark outline of your body then it helps too.  If you are using a climber or ladder stand, angle the stand more to the east to gain a bit of range of motion there.  As you have seen you have plenty of range of motion when shooting to almost any angle to your left.  Angle about  45 degrees more to the right and you give up little or nothing to the left but get a lot more to the right.  Another option is carry a pistol too...

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »
Me three on the camo "skirt"...

I hunt with a Ruger #1, which is almost ambidextrous, although all guns are ambidextrous on that first shot. I am left-handed left-eyed real bad, but have shot a few from a right-handed right-eyed position. Just have to be very deliberate about it. Hsve to practice a few right hand off hand shots at the range. I try to orient my stand in a position that favors a left-handed shot.

Monday a buck walked up on the left and it looked like it was going to be a 20 yd rh shot. He spotted me and started sniffing. Got jittery and ran off, all of 40 yds...right into my lh shot. Pick him up from the processor tomorrow.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
I actually practice shooting left and right shoulder...I also squirrel hunt quite a bit with a .22 bolt action and make myself shoot with the off shoulder as well...

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »
     Most of our stands have swivel seats in them makes it alot easier to quietly turn to a better shooting position, the NEW stand we built for me this summer has my old office desk in it and yes I am SPOILED now.   Jim

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
One thing I've noticed is that most hunters place their stands to close to the trail or trails. This makes it harder to move without being detected.
Sometimes terrain dictates where the stand is placed and we have no choice, but in most cases a little bit of trimming would have allowed the stand to be placed farther back.
Also being father back makes those tight offside angle shots require less movement to achieve.

Pat 
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline jpuke

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:23 AM »
Decent trees have also dictated where I put this stand.  I'd love to have it farther back, but the small strip of woods between the trails is the best place to be and there really is no going back farther.  I'm still inexperienced enough that my head says "get 'em!" whenever I see deer, rather than having a reserved, calm response.  I spooked the deer because I got too excited, didn't have the mindset that it'd be OK if they went by. 

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:32:59 AM »
I've killed three close range rack bucks by simply shooting off the other shoulder.A couple of times in a loc-on stand I stood,turned 180, squatted and rested off the seat cause I couldn't stretch around far enough to made the shot. Also other unmentionables in this position. I'm a lefty,learned to shoot with both eyes open long ago,and have shot a few targets righty to get the feel of it. I shoot pistols with both hands a little so if I have to ,it won't feel so odd.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
 You have to be able to shoot from either shoulder, that helps but there will aways be a certain "dead" spot no matter what.  Talking about tree stands . 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:57:33 AM »
For a real "opposite" direction shot, a few weeks ago, I stood up in my summit viper to stretch and looked behind the tree I was on. 175 lb buck 70 yards back in the woods. Rested the gun against the tree, pulled the trigger...yada,yada,yada...bacon end venison burgers for lunch yesterday.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 05:17:49 AM »
fortunately for me I have never had that problem, I'm ambidextrous and can shoot either way , but mostly left handed as I am left eye dominate. it only makes a difference when I an shooting paper. 1" groups LH 2" groups RH , it's still minute of deer accurate  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline jpuke

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »
Now I have something to practice and occupy my time with during the off-season.  We're getting 8 inches of snow today so I hope to get out again on Thursday after the deer are good and ready to move again.

Thanks for all the responses.