Author Topic: poors mans ATV  (Read 2633 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Re: poors mans ATV
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 06:05:41 AM »
Billy,

My youngest son has one of those side by side atv thingys, and he says he drives it to work in Hutchinson.  I'm pretty sure he has a license plate on it.  Not a car plate, but a smaller one.  Is that possible?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 09:07:13 AM »
Billy,

My youngest son has one of those side by side atv thingys, and he says he drives it to work in Hutchinson.  I'm pretty sure he has a license plate on it.  Not a car plate, but a smaller one.  Is that possible?

Minnesota has several different ATV licences. I think the agricultural licence allows some road useage. Also alot of on road useage of ATV's depends on local enforcement.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »
Wyo has a small plate for the thingys and normal ATVs that allows us to drive them on public roads. More unusual is that they allow us to put this license plate on the Japanese Kei trucks which is what I have.These are 4wd mini trucks. they have cabs with heaters windshield wipers etc. and about a 3.5 X 7' bed which is way closer to the ground than American trucks. Better yet the sides fold down to make a flatbed that is even easier to load. The cabs are uncomfortable and they don't go very fast, so they aren't great on the road, but it is the cat's meow for use at my place in the country.

For instance, when I needed to move my outhouse I folded the sides down and tipped the house onto the truck bed and moved it by myself. Wouldn't do that with a "normal" pickup.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 03:37:32 AM »
How 'bout a pic of that truck?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
  Years ago, one of my friends got hassled by the DNR for driving on a back road to his hunting spot with his ATV, so he sold it and built this,

He geared it up to get some road speed, (without the chains) put a SMV sign on it, and never got stopped or hassled again.

8 speed Wheel Horses have a "real" cast steel tranny in them, with hi/lo range, and even with it geared up, and only an 8hp Kohler motor for power, it does very good in rough slow going.

Is it as good as an ATV??  Of course not, but my friend (who has since passed away) was VERY handy and already had everything around to build it, it worked out fairly good for him.

DM

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »
JCN  Sorry, I'm kind of a computer illiterate. Tried to do pics several times and still can't.

Lots of info if you google Kei truck. They are getting to be pretty common round here. They come from Japan used because they can't meet pollution stds there any more. Usually very low miles $4500 is about normal price.

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 05:48:09 AM »
  I'm always worried that if i bought one of those trucks, it will need a part i won't beable to get, OR will take months to find and get that part, at a very high price.

I sat in a few of them, and the pedals were so close together, i couldn't get my feet between them!  The were made for midgets!!  lol

DM

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
They are made for small guys all right, I have to put my leg in in the right order or it won't fit. I haven't needed any parts yet, but there is a forum for these trucks, and what I read there is that parts are available, there are getting to be suppliers that stock things on this side of the pond.

Be aware, the Feds don't consider these things a legal vehicle and most States won't license them. Maybe that's  one reason I'm fond of mine, it's one area where Wyo has told the Feds to fly a kite.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 01:05:19 PM »
I like my ATV, but have been driving jeeps for...well since I have been driving. I can honestly say I have driven my jeep in places I could not walk. But my jeeps are far from stock...

Aside from width limitations or weight, there is no place an ATV could go that I could not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZ_VM9ddzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBaIeDNOLz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2na3-bIJCf0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsrYLw0MvQ

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 02:22:37 AM »
Those little Japanese trucks are the most common truck on the road in Okinawa. They are everywhere. It's like Ford F150's here in the States.
They've got a little 660cc 3 cylinder engine in 'em. I drove 'em a few times when I was stationed there... they're fun little trucks. ;D

Spanky

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 03:37:29 AM »
 There are a few popping up around here, southern Indiana. I think as the price of fuel climbs you will see more of them.

Lonny