Author Topic: Corn fed deer  (Read 557 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Corn fed deer
« on: December 25, 2003, 10:50:15 AM »
I have a clover food plot about 30' x 120' on some private land;which have 2 6 gal. on demand feeders at the far end of the plot.I have been filling these with corn for about 6 or 7 months.The deer are eating 50# per week.I have never seen them,nor have I tried,cuz I fill feeders usally around the middle of the day.Lots of tracks,ground is torn up around feeders.Guess this weekend might be a good time to to make them pay the bill for all that corn :D                Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline dbuz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Corn fed deer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 02:54:23 AM »
This guy at the co-op in st. clair county said he sells more corn to deer hunters than to cattle farms. Man, there should be some big ones out there. Your deer are probably eating at night. I've run into the nocturnal deer problem a fwe times. Your only chance, keeping it legal, is to catch them in the rut.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
Corn fed deer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 07:54:35 PM »
Yeah...their either eating at night or there might be some very tall coons or possems around :-)  Legal???? Me cheat???  NOOOO Way :lol:   Rick aka "Straight & Narrow  :wink:
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
Corn fed deer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 04:37:13 PM »
What is a "feed on demand" feeder.  We're going to crank up the corn feeders in Georgia as soon as the guns go silent in two weeks and the "feed on demand" sounds sort of interesting.

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
Corn fed deer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 06:49:35 PM »
gs...a demand feeder is one that has a plastic rod(about 1-1/2' long) sticking out the bottom of feeder.When the deer or what ever can reach it,touch it ,it moves and more corn falls out.You can build your own using a plastic bucket(with a lid of course)'cut a 2 " hole in bottom and place a stick shaped like a old wooden sling-shot like I'm sure you craved out as a kid.Of course I'm lazy so I bought mine at Wally World for about 18 bucks a piece.You can spend about 10 bucks more and get the dust/dawn feeders or a little more and get feeders with timers. The only thing I see wrong with my feeders is they should have been 7 gal not 6 gal.Reason,you can't fit 50# of corn in 6,but you could 7.          Rick

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
Corn fed deer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 02:12:07 AM »
That sounds easy enough.  I have a timed feeder that will hold 300#'s of corn, but I only have one.  I need several more to cover all 500 acres.  I just don't know if I could get up there and load them once a week.  I may have to find a couple of 55 gallon drums to make them out of.