Author Topic: Hog Load  (Read 1047 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Hog Load
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
This April I'll be doing some hog hunting, and my rifle is an 1894 Marlin in .357 mag.  I plan on using 158 gr cast RNFP over 13.5 gr AA#9, will this do the job, assuming I do my part?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline MSM

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hog Load
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
  It looks like there is enough power in that load to do the work. I would think as long as the bullet has a large meplat and the range is reasonable it would do fine.

MSM

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »
Study hog anatomy. Get a head shot if you are able. 

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »
I'm fairly certain the ranges will be pretty close, I'm using open sights so that in itself somewhat limits range. I've got some hog targets with the vital areas indicated, so  I've got a pretty good idea where the bullet needs to be. I agree on the head shot though, that's definately the way to go. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
that load should do alot of penetrating if its cast hard enough. Id look at something in the 15-20 bhn range.
blue lives matter

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »
Just a thought. The only thing I don't like about a head shot...and I'm not saying don't take one...is that the margin of error is pretty small, especially with a handgun round with open sights and the possibility of taking an offhand shot. A couple of inches in any direction and you (at best) have a miss. A wounding shot is more likely. We all know what a wounded hog can do.

But, you really will never know what shot to take until you are in that situation. Good luck!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
Back to the OP, and notwithstanding what BRL has posted, I have shot and killed DRT a LOT of hogs, under ideal conditions, over corn, with a very accurate, scoped, 22LR rifle from an elevated steady rest, under 25 yards, in the forehead "X" between the ears and eyes (where the skull is thin and the brain is just underneath).  A "whap" right there and it is OUT GOES THE LIGHTS.  Same thing for a side shot to that portion of the head - above the upper jaw, behind the eye, all the way back to the shoulder, but not with the 22LR, as the side skull bone/hide is too thick.

I am working on a 180 grain (heavy for caliber), cast, gas checked and lubed, 38 Special case (small capacity), IMR 700X (small charge of fast powder), for my Handi-rifle in 357 Mag caliber and an extended range, not to exceed 100 yds (maybe 50 with the 38 Spc case). I know, without the empirical evidence, that the 357 has MORE POWER, GREATER PUNCH, and the potential for equivalent accuracy as the bolt-action Ruger K77/22RP that I now shoot.

Try NOT to take an off-hand shot as there usually are more suitable and stable alternatives.  Hog hunting is somewhat forgiving in that their eye sight is poor so you can move around a little bit.  Sometimes even to within a few YARDS of them as they feed, provided you are quiet while doing it.  They make a lot of noise themselves.

Your current participation in practicing with your gun does a favorable service to your adversary.  I am certain that you will succeed in your hog hunt with the 357 Mag, provided you do your part. 

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
Land_Owner, keep us posted on the load you are working on. I've always liked the 180gr. cast bullet. 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »
Land_Owner, keep us posted on the load you are working on. I've always liked the 180gr. cast bullet. 

land_owner

i think  i have shot  a few of those  same bullets
they  have excellent penetration

i recently got a 35 remington to try those same slugs in  too

i would prefer  a scoped gun....but  if your  good enough  without a scope......
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Picked this up somewhere:

If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
Doug,

Post these pics again in the Hog Hunting Forum (specifically requesting) and I will make a Sticky out of them there.  

In the immortal words of Tony The Tiger in Frosted Flakes advertising "They're Great!"

45-70...they are YOUR cast boolets.  I suspect you HAVE shot a few of them.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
that load should do alot of penetrating if its cast hard enough. Id look at something in the 15-20 bhn range.
The bullets I have are from Dardas and have an advertised BHN of 16.  I'll be hunting from a stand but I have no idea what type of stand. I've thought about head shots but much will depend on where the hog is, range, and direction he's facing. I may only be able to get a quartering away shot, which is fine.
My box of 500 bullets just arrived, so I have some work to do. The hunt is scheduled for 4/30/11, I'll be sure to post my results.
Thanks for the input everyone.