Author Topic: Low Power scope for heavy recoil  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Darryle

• Trade Count: (4)
Low Power scope for heavy recoil
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:18:31 AM »
I want a low power scope with at least a 28mm objective, preferably 32-33mm, with a power rating not to exceed 4x, a 1-4x32mm would be ideal. I want as much eye relief a possible without going to a scout scope, something in the 4-4.5" range again would be ideal. Money isn't an object, but I am not rich either, I want the best bang for my dollar.

I have an older Burris (Black Diamond IIRC)2 x 50mm fixed on a .458x2", but have yet to find another like.

I am building a rifle for use on hogs locally(mostly late evening to early night shots), but also plan on carrying it on a Safari next year to Windhoek. The rifle will weigh in right at 7.5-8lbs with optics, and the recoil calculator based on my handloads will be in the 38-42lb range depending on which Barnes bullet I load.

Thanks

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Low Power scope for heavy recoil
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
I`m a Leupold fan. I have used them on rifles, handguns and shotguns. The heavest recoiling gun I have is a 460 S&W in an Encore and they have no trouble with it. I also have a 500 S&W but the recoil on it is less than the 460 Encore. I don`t think you go wrong with a 2 1/2 Leupold. I have acouple and love them.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
I bought a Leupold FX-II 4x with the post & duplex reticle direct from the custom shop. The center of the reticle where the stadia intersects covers a 2" square at 100 yards. I like it. The post & duplex is like a cross between theh #4 and heavy duplex reticles.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:49:24 AM »
I too would look at a leupold 4x. If a bit more magnification wouldnt be to bad id look at a vx2 2x7. If you have money check out the 1.75x6 vx3
blue lives matter

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:53:28 AM »
Have you looked at the new 1-4x24mm Super Sniper.  It is a mil/mil scope with illumination and from what I've seen looks pretty good for quick shots on game.  Here's some reading material: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1737090#Post1737090

Or if I had a little more coin to spend I'd go with a setup from U.S. Optics.  They have a 1-4, but the 1.5-6x is nice as well.  http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN4-150

just my opinions though.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
I have an older VXII in 1X4.  I love the scope.  I think being able to see the end of the rifle barrel in the site picture helps with target acquisition on running game at short range, and it is easy to use with both eyes open.  If you have a front ramp sight, you'll want to remove it.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:45 AM »
You may want to consider the 1.5-5x32 Nitrex TR1 scope.  Very nice Japanese optics, great bargain price....retailed for around $300, but now a discontinued model and available for $90 after rebate at www.natchezss.com   The TR1 Nitrex scopes are basically Weaver Grand Slam scopes with Nitrex and Weaver being owned by same company.

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
I installed a Leupold 2.5x Ultralight scope with Conetrol rings and base on my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R.  The scope is very bright in low light conditions and there is more than enough eye relief distance.  2.5x is enough magnification for most any shot within 200yds.  This sight arrangement works great for hunting wild hogs.  I was able to make a quick snap shot at a running boar while keeping both eyes open.  Street price is about $250.