Author Topic: 220V AMERICAN USAGE smelting furnaces  (Read 813 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
220V AMERICAN USAGE smelting furnaces
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
My daughter gave me an RCBS Pro-Melt 220V EUROPEAN furnace for Christmas.  I have to return it tomorrow.

I would like a 220V AMERICAN USE, 20-pound pot, bottom pour furnace and do not see an offering from RCBS.  I also do not see one by Lee or Lyman (that I am certain is for American use).

Point me in the right direction gentlemen...220V is what I prefer since I have plenty of that in my garage outlets and perceive a quicker, hardier, more robust heating with 220V.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 220V AMERICAN USAGE smelting furnaces
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't know of anyone making a ( American ) 220v lead pot , the European ones run on 40Hz to 50 HZ were as we use 60Hz for our power systems , as for the heating Ele, there is no real difference .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
bring it  up
i will put a dryer plug on it
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mauserand9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »
Yes, the different frequencies won't make any difference - it would if there were a motor involved. And voltage doesn't really affect the way it heats. The wattage is the real measurement of heat performance - for the same wattage there would be no difference between 110V or 220V providing the supply cables are big enough (for the same watts, 110V will draw twice the current of 220V).

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:14:40 AM »
I have an 80 lb. pot that uses either 110 or 220. (no longer available) I use 110 ,works great for melting down large batches of alloy.
H08

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
like was said a 220 pot is no faster then a 110. Only differnce is smaller wires can be used but most pots dont draw enough to need smaller wires in the average garage or home.
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
The question of portability then begs to be asked. 

If there is no effective difference between 110V and 220V, time to melt being equal, power consumption being equal, longevity of equipment (through proper maintenance and care) being equal, then replugging a brand new furnace for American 220V usage (most likely voiding any warranty) will make it less portable and smelting with friends whose shops are wired for 110V will be precluded.  That is something to consider. 

This "Dirt" Engineer (Civil) thought that MORE POWER (voltage) meant faster melting.

I will return it for the 110 version.  My boys will be saddened as they are itching to cast (and shoot) boolets.  Me too!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:31:08 AM »
This having been beat to death, there's only one other thing.

The 220v version will load both sides of the line (service) evenly.  Won't make but just a minor difference (a LITTLE bit cheaper - probably not measurable without a GOOD wattmeter).

A friend of mine got one for Christmas - it was 220v (from MidSouth, Midway or Nachez).  He returned it for the 120v version.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »
After doing some checking , it looks like most of the companies are making universal 220v units that will work on US or Euro power systems , while the only advantage to the 220v unit that I can see is that it will have a lower amp draw and a slightly lower power bill , however with the size units were talking about , its a moot point .

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
The unit was a gift.  I called Midway USA this afternoon to inquire about their sending me a pre-paid shipping label to return it to them.  The customer service gal said they do not send those and to follow the instructions on the shipping invoice.  Huh?

I think it feasible that some of the original confusion is Midway USA advertising not indicating that it is the 220V EUROPEAN variety.  Why should I have to pay shipping back to Midway USA for something that wasn't suitable, without alteration, for American use in the first place?

Offline mauserand9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »
You're right, if they offer a 220V American version and a 220V European version then you'd better grab the American version for warranty purposes (even though it likely won't make any difference to the way it operates). Obviously if something goes wrong and it is a European version they'll likely not honour the warranty if it has been used in the States.

Just remember that they are not liable for the version ordered. Even if it is addressed to somewhere within the States, who's to say that it won't be used overseas? They only deliver what's been ordered. If an Amercan version was ordered and a European model supplied then you have a case.

One other thing, voltage does not significantly affect the power consumed. If it is 1000W (as an example only, I don't know what the rating is) then thats all it will draw irrespective of whether it is 110V or 220V. The higher current (amps) of the lower voltage may lead to more loss in the cabling but the cabling would be larger for the higher current draw anyway. The cable loss would be insignificant. Similarly there is no difference in the heating performance between voltages.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 02:12:29 AM »
this is the correct answer. Power loss in something so small due to cable size would be insignificant. The cords provided are plenty big enough for the amperage draw and if your wiring that supplys the outlet isnt big enough or your breaker isnt big enough it needs to be addressed. The cost of buying a 220 breaker would offset any imaginary cost savings over your lifetime. Your meter meters watage which is amperagexvoltage. a 10 amp draw at 220 vts is the same as a 20amp draw on a 110 circuit. I could see no advantage whatsoever in going 220. As to balancing the two legs on your service that is a consern if one leg is pulling way more then another but your better off then swapping your breakers around to balance the load. Keep in mind too that your casting pot isnt running all the time. Not like some things in your home. If your balancing your load keep in mind not only balancing the load but balancing the load with what is running the most. 
You're right, if they offer a 220V American version and a 220V European version then you'd better grab the American version for warranty purposes (even though it likely won't make any difference to the way it operates). Obviously if something goes wrong and it is a European version they'll likely not honour the warranty if it has been used in the States.

Just remember that they are not liable for the version ordered. Even if it is addressed to somewhere within the States, who's to say that it won't be used overseas? They only deliver what's been ordered. If an Amercan version was ordered and a European model supplied then you have a case.

One other thing, voltage does not significantly affect the power consumed. If it is 1000W (as an example only, I don't know what the rating is) then thats all it will draw irrespective of whether it is 110V or 220V. The higher current (amps) of the lower voltage may lead to more loss in the cabling but the cabling would be larger for the higher current draw anyway. The cable loss would be insignificant. Similarly there is no difference in the heating performance between voltages.
blue lives matter

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
The unit was a gift.  I called Midway USA this afternoon to inquire about their sending me a pre-paid shipping label to return it to them.  The customer service gal said they do not send those and to follow the instructions on the shipping invoice.  Huh?

I think it feasible that some of the original confusion is Midway USA advertising not indicating that it is the 220V EUROPEAN variety.  Why should I have to pay shipping back to Midway USA for something that wasn't suitable, without alteration, for American use in the first place?

i guess  we  wil wait  and  see...

how bad  they  want  you/us  to be ''return'' customers
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.