Author Topic: Will a Knight KP1 Muzzleloader Forearm Fit a KP1 Shotgun Barrel?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Will a Knight KP1 Muzzleloader Forearm Fit a KP1 Shotgun Barrel?
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
Can someone help me out with my problem?

Bought a Knight KP1 muzzleloader, then found a KP1 12ga shotgun rifled slug barrel on sale.  I can't find a forend for the shotgun barrel anywhere.  

Will a Knight KP1 muzzleloader forearm fit on a KP1 shotgun barrel?  Or will a KP1 rifle forearm fit on the shotgun barrel?

Knight 'customer service'  says "We are currently out of stock of this item. At this time we do not plan to restock this item."  Makes me think they will be harder to find than hen's teeth.

Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Will a Knight KP1 Muzzleloader Forearm Fit a KP1 Shotgun Barrel?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
http://www.knightrifles.com/kp1-shotgun-barrel-kit-MP1SRBKB20/

Barrel kit for Knight KP1 Rifle. Includes extractor. DOES NOT include KP1 Shotgun Forearm. Shotgun Forearm is required if changing from Centerfire, Muzzleloader, or 45-70.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:00:07 AM »
Muzzleloader forend will not fit anything else given the it is rigged to allow the ramrod to be seated.  You can buy the shotgun forend from the website as noted.   By the way, the shotgun barrel is incredibly accurate and heavy enough to shoot accurately without beating you to death.  I really like mine.

regards,

graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
Hoping mine is accurate too.  Thanks for the replies.

But no, nobody has the forends in stock, not even Knight.  They show a picture of it, but if you try and order one, there is no 'Buy it Now' button, at least for the shotgun forend.  When I asked Knight why this was, they just said essentially that they don't have any and won't be making any, either.

That's why I was wondering if the other forends could be adapted to fit.  Maybe they would not look too good, or be a little sloppy, but would be better than nothing. 

Offline oldrifter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
I have a muzzzle loader forend on a 300 mag barrel and it works fine.  I have seen one where a rod was put in the ramrod hole and a bipod mounted on the end.
Good hunting
oldrifter
<><

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:38:02 AM »
If you don't mind me asking where did you get your barrel and what did you pay? I have a few KP1's and wa thinking a rifled slug barrel may come in handy.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 05:05:03 AM »
Got my 12gauge 24" rifled slug barrel for a Knight KP1 from Wholesale Hunter on 12/9/10 for $159.  It was listed on Gunbroker, not the Wholesale Hunter website.

Be careful though... the forend for the 12ga shotgun can NOT be bought from Knight directly.  They do not have any, and will not be producing any.  Nobody else has any either.

See my post below about adapting a muzzleloader forend for the shotgun barrel.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »
The answer is NO, the muzzleloader forend will not fit the shotgun barrel unless you alter the ml forend.  Graycg is right, the channel in the muzzleloader forend is too small for the shotgun barrel.

I bought a muzzleloader forend and carved it out so it fits the shotgun barrel.  It takes an hour of so of cutting and sanding.  I thought a drill or Dremel Moto-tool with a grinding stone would work, but that essentially melts the plastic and gums up the grinding stone.  I then tried a razor knife and found it works better.  You slice cut hunks of plastic off, and draw the razor perpendicular to the stock to 'shave' it down.  The lugs in the bottom of the forend are the main problem, although some plastic along the edges of the channel need to be removed.

I'll try to get a picture online.

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:03:48 AM »
Lucky for me I have a shotgun forend for my smoothbore barrel. I made sure to purchase every forend so no matter what barrel i had i would have a the correct one.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:05 AM »
Good idea, especially once Knight was flirting with going completely out of business!

If I see any forends online or at garage sales, I'm going to buy them up.

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 07:36:43 AM »

From the top, 3 items:

(1) Shows the MODified muzzleloader forearm.  You can see where the lugs have been trimmed slightly to allow the barrel to fit down inside more.  The entire channel for the length of the forearm has also been widened slightly.

(2) The UNmodified muzzleloader forearm.

(3) The KP1 12gauge shotgun barrel, lined up approximately where the forearm will fit it.