Author Topic: Getting the lead out  (Read 837 times)

Offline Noreaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Getting the lead out
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
What do you use for getting the lead out of your barrel. I have a ton of 38 spl lead rounds to shoot out of my GP100. Few hundred wadcutter reloads and another couple of hundred S&B 38 spl lead. The reloads are probably slow enough where they won't leave too much behind, but the S&B are moving right along. Will shooting a jacketed bullet afterward get any out or is this an old wives tale.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
Re: Getting the lead out
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
I prefer a length of copper chore boy wrapped around a proper sized brush.  Takes it out very good.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
Or a Lewis Lead Remover kit.

If you can't find Chore Boy pads take a magnet to test pads before you buy. You want non-magnetic copper pads, not copper-coated steel ones.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:10:01 AM »
I have a Lewis Lead Remover for my .44's and have used steel wool on an old bore brush in other calibers. Both remove lead and I haven't see any problems from the steel wool. I've tried some of the "lead remover" bore solvents and they don't seem very effective but maybe I just haven't given them enough time to work, I get impatient and just go to the Lewis Lead Remover which works right away.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
Do not be mislead by the thought that slow enough bullets will not lead a barrel.  There are many more factors that can lead to lead residues left behind in a barrel.  Two main factors are bullet hardness and bullet size (diameter). 

If you're interested, read this article:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/15e296c61415e831fecfe8fddcc1dc92-414.html

Now, as for getting the lead out.  I use Hoppes Elite Bore Gel if in a hurry but just Hoppes #9 will do the job if you're patient enough.  Just soak some patches with either solvent and let them soak in the barrel.  If using the Elite, I don't find it necessary to let it soak for more than a half hour.  With #9, you can soak over night if you like.  Then just go to work with either a nylon or brass brush.  I count the strokes though the barrel.  Generally, 25 strokes should remove the toughest leading if it was allowed to sit and soak for a while.  On occasion, some of my rifle barrels require a bit more brushing but it all comes out, usually in flakes or strips.  If it comes out this way, then you know the solvent has done it's job.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. Blackhawker that was a good article.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »
Are Lewis lead removers still made? I understood they went out of business, so I have been hoarding my little brass screens.

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:35:08 AM »
Are Lewis lead removers still made? I understood they went out of business, so I have been hoarding my little brass screens.

I believe they were bought out by Brownell's.  IMO the Lewis lead remover is a proven performer for quick lead removal.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:36 AM »
I`ve been shooting it out since 1968 and never had any problems. If it`s not bad 1 or 2 shots will usually do the trick.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
Several company's make what is called a lead away cloth. (Kleen-Bor,Birchwood Casey,ADCO) I cut about a 1'' square, and wrap it around a bore brush that's kinda wore out. It's also good to take the powder burns on the front of the cylinder off, make sure that it's a stainless steel revolver thou. Too much rubbing can take the blueing off. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »
lee lead removal tool ,
If ya can see it ya can hit it !