Author Topic: Could use some help with scope mounts for a flat top AR-15  (Read 502 times)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Could use some help with scope mounts for a flat top AR-15
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
 I'm looking for a two piece set of quick release bases for my AR.  I've tried a one piece base, could not get my eye relief where I needed it.  If anyone can head me toward a set of these, I'd really appreciate it.  Hopefully I can find a set that won't cost me a fortune!   

Offline gimpster

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Could use some help with scope mounts for a flat top AR-15
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
What size scope are you putting on it?
                                    Dave

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
Generally speaking, you want about an inch high with a flat top AR.  What I use on two of mine is bushmaster 1/2 inch riser blocks, along with Leopold lever medium height weaver quick release rings.  Gives you the height you need, along with the ability to remove the scope / rings and use them on another sporting type with weaver type bases(bolt action) rifle without being to high, as most sporting rifles have lower comb height then an AR.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:14 AM »
Warne Maxima Extra High quick release.  Rock solid and not too expensive.  I would only notice a 3/4" or less shift in POI after removing and remounting the scope.