Author Topic: Want to put a Quad rail in my AR?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Want to put a Quad rail in my AR?
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
I have a RRA ar-10 and want to put a rail sys in it and will be odering it from RRA, is it a DIY job?  How easy is it going to be ???.  Love to tinker been doing it for years but with bolts and hand guns only and can any of you guys tell me the tools that i'm going to need buy this pic??

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Want to put a Quad rail in my AR?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
Simple, really. Just pull back on the delta ring (spring loaded), and remove the fore end (it should be in two pieces), then install the new one with the rails.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
very easy to put on a non free floated 4 rail. A free floated one is a bit more work but nothing the average guy cant tackle.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
I also have a couple of the quad rail fore ends to install on a pair of AR15s with 16" barrels. What's this pull back to take off and install stuff about. I have purchased a wrench that is supposed to be used or so I thought and now I keep seeing a different type wrench shown as needed.

What the heck do I need to remove the standard M4 pattern fore end and install the quad rail fore ends I have. I'm NOT very handy and know zip about ARs but would like to get these quad rails on as I do plan to add a fore end grip with light and laser. Eventually I plan to add BUIS and either another EOTech Holosight like I have on my Remington R15 or an Aimpoint to them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »
On my gun the handgard is free floated . It un screws from a hanger and a wrench is needed to remove it or some use a screw driver on the area where the wrench fits ( not a good way) . Some free floated guards have several machine screws that attach it to the hanger. With a delta ring you pull back on the ring to free the hand guard . A wrench can be used to tighten the delta ring assy bbl. etc.
Some feel the delta ring set up puts stress on the bbl/upper twisting it if a vertical grip is used on the handguard or alot of attachments are placed on it. GB did your handguards come with hangers ? or do they have lips that would slip under the delta ring ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
I'd not sure what hangers means in this case. I did find a ring that pulls back at the rear of the fore arm on both rifles. I can barely pull it back tho and not far enough to get the current fore end off. Perhaps I'm just not strong enough these days or maybe it's a two person job. I'm not nearly as strong as I was in the days of my youth.

The new quad rail fore ends have two screws intended to hold the two pieces togther once installed I assume. One end what I assume are the lips you mention to slide under the ring which I think is what you are calling a delta ring tho I'm not familiar with the terminology of ARs.

It does look like the current fore end could be taken off if someone were able to pull that ring back far enough and hold it while they come off. Should I assume that means the new pieces could then be put on and held by the ring then the screws inserted to hold it all tightly in place?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
They are a bear to pull back. The hanger replaces the delta ring on my gun. Brownell's has a section that tells how to build an AR . It has been alot of help for me . Just trying to understand all the gun spefic terms has been an education for me. Please understand I still don't know all the terms , I tried to decribe what they look like to me in some cases . Hope it was help not confusion .

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
Bill

The delta ring is that spring loaded doohickey at the rear of the forearm, between it and the frame.  It can be a two person operation as it is hard to pull back all the way and hold while changing out the forearm.  Look at your new quad forearm - if it has "lips" at the front and rear, then it is designed to mount using the delta ring method.  These lips fit under a piece near the front sight, and under the delta ring, holding the forearm in place.  The screws you mention are probably to add stability to the set up.  Most AR parts makers offer a tool for compressing the delta ring to make installation easier.

On a free floated forearm, usually the delta ring is replaced with a fitting that allows the new forend to be screwed on, eliminating any tension on the barrel.  This method is said to produce slightly better accuracy, but my most accurate AR is an M-4 with the standard forearm attachment method.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
spring loaded doohickey

Hey that's a term even I understand.  :o

My new fore end has the "lips" only on one end. I hope all this is helping the OP also as it sounds like he's in the same boat I am wanting to do something to his AR and like me doesn't really understand how.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:10:53 AM »
spring loaded doohickey

Hey that's a term even I understand.  :o

My new fore end has the "lips" only on one end. I hope all this is helping the OP also as it sounds like he's in the same boat I am wanting to do something to his AR and like me doesn't really understand how.
Ya, i hear you i'll be putting a free floating rail on mine, i'm just as clueless as you are...will probable end up odering a low profile gas block too  ???.  Hopefully i wont end up takeing it to a gun smith  :D as parts LOL!!

Offline gunblade

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »
When removing the handguards, don't try to pull the slip ring, or Delta ring if you prefer, straight back.  Instead, pull on one side only and take one handguard off at a time...much easier.  Best described as a "rocking" motion...wrap your whole hand around it but only pull down with your thumb and index finger to release one handguard at a time.  Still can be a bit stiff, especially if the handguards haven't been removed frequently, but they will loosen up or either you'll get the hang of it after you do it a few times.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 03:01:55 AM »
Brownell's has detail drawings and Midway has how to do section on building an AR . I found both helpful. Since you can buy a bbl that is complete and headspaced there is very little that can't be done at home with a few tools and a good guide as long as MILITARY SPEC. parts are used . I would suggest only dealing with quality dealers / suppliers I had to have 2 bbls replaced and the dealer did so with out problems.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline Doe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »
Thanks(Old Syko) forgot all about (YouTube) They have videos on how to on almost anything  ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
That video would be really helpful IF I had that system. It does show me how to take them off but I just got a hunch I wasted the money on the fore ends I bought after watching it. I see no way the one I have is gonna be stable for the hand grip I want and for the life of me since the front of it has no "lips" to fit under the front retainer if that's a correct name I don't see how it's supposed to stay on. Just more I don't understand or know about this dang AR platform.

I'll have to now do some thinking as to whether the cheaper fore ends I got are just paper weights or if there might be a way to make them work for what I have in mind.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Bill, you'll likely find the system you have actually fits around the outside the forward retainer rather than the retainer fitting around lips, as you put it.  It will then be tightened in place with bolts through the 2 halves.  This is assuming, if I understand you correctly, the guards you have are 2 piece.  Not really a lot of options here.  Take the old one off by way of the delta ring and leave everything else in place as this video shows.  The first video shows free float replacement which you obviously don't have.  Takes at best 2 minutes to replace.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »
Hmm now that looks exactly like the fore end I have to install. They might work after all. I wonder tho if it is gonna be solid enough for the hand grip under it that I was hoping to install. I guess I'll just have to get one on and see how solid it seems to be. Thanks that one combined with the other on how to remove it should allow me to get it done.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125