Author Topic: Media question?  (Read 893 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Media question?
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
I was just wondering why you could not use a very fine sand for media? I know people would say it is to abrasive but what if you just did not run the tumbler very long? You know keep an eye on it and when the brass is clean stop the tumbler. Also I think I heard a while back on this forum that plain white rice could be used for a media. Is this true. Thanks and merry Christmas Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Media question?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:31:39 PM »
I don't see any reason that you couldn't use sand.  I know for sure that you would want to be certain to get all of the grit out of the cases, wouldn't want any of that to make its way into the gun.

The fact that sand is "gritty" might be the reason not to do it also.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
The fact that sand is "gritty" might be the reason not to do it also.

There it is.
 You'll be looking at doing a major job of washing. :o  :(

It's not just this thread, but a few others of recent that prompts me to think, "Why try to reinvent the wheel?" Decades of experiance and experimentation has been done to bring us to the corncob and walnut media that is marketed and sold by several manufacurers for polishing and cleaning brass cases.
 If something of common ease to obtain and use was better we'd all know about it already. If something was cheaper and worked they'd have already found out and be bagging and selling that..
 I mean the other one where the guy is trying to crush almond shells just because it's the shell of a nut as is walnut, :P could simply look on line and find that almond shell is used as an additive to cattle feed to increase fiber content. That means it's soft and digestable, :-[ where as walnut shell doesn't do that job well, it's abrasive?(?)
 I figure go ahead, knock yourself out,  ::), Me?  I'll go to the pet shop and by walnut shell as lizard litter and save myself $10,  ::) 8)
found elsewhere

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
sand is so hard it will scratch and wear on your cases.
blue lives matter

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:48:23 AM »
Good enough for me then. Can you tell me more about the Lizzard litter you use? Also the Walnut you get at the pet store do you have to crush it or anything else to use it? Thanks and merry CHRISTmas Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 03:07:22 AM »
Sand as a polishing agent ?????????????????? 
Some of the questions that are asked make me shake my poor old head   :o  :o  :o
and ---WE---  as in me also --take the time to answer them.

Drill Spot--look it up.   Will put 40 pounds of corn cob in your mail box for $20.00.
That's correct 20 bux and that is with the shipping, and you will get it in three day's.
  Just don't get the stuff that is to small.  Yup--gotta a think a little.  ::)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 03:11:01 AM »
I used Black Diamond Blasting Media ones; I had bought some Mil, surplus 3006. Nothing would touch this stuff; the blasting media took the varnish off. But then I re tumbled it in walnut shell with a table spoon of Nu- finish . Turned out pretty good.
I have walnut media that is 15 years old. I throw a dryer sheet in to pick up the dust. And just keep adding a little more media to replace the stuff that broke down. About every 5th or 6th batch, I add a little Media activator.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »
Some folks just have inquiring minds...I guess that's how progress is made, but most things have been tried out & perfected over the years.

What's your goal Dale? Save money or find a better mousetrap?  ;D

Merry Christmas!
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 04:23:35 AM »
Yea, I bet the sand would really polish the crap out of the brass, but all that microscopic grit would be heck on the reloading dies and ultimately the gun.  At least with walnut dust and corn cob dust, the very fine residue that's left behind will not hurt anything.

I'd stick to the walnut or corncob.....or try one of the liqud-type cleaners.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 04:24:29 AM »
Some folks just have inquiring minds...I guess that's how progress is made, but most things have been tried out & perfected over the years.

What's your goal Dale? Save money or find a better mousetrap?  ;D

Merry Christmas!
I guess my goal would be to save some money and just kind of figured a 50 LB bag of play sand would go a long way and is very cheap. I ask questions because I don't know if it has been tried, or if it has did it work? Now is there any truth to the white rice being used as media? Thanks and take care Dale

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
 IIRC, I read that the rice does work but it takes along time. That was natural long grain and not minute rice, minute rice just turned to powder.
 I bought my Thumlers tumbler used on an auction site, and with it came two bags of cork media. It worked to remove carbon but left the cases really dull. I knew we had walnut as blasting media at work and tried some of that, been hooked ever since. The only prep work required for the walnut litter is to cut the bag and pour some out.
 I did get a small jug of Lyman Turbo Brite and put about a tablespoon of that in, and like others, every once in awhile I'll toss a used dryer sheet in to pull/collect dust. I've swapped the stuff out twice now. When my fingers turn dark from handling the brass it's time, it still cleans well, it just gets really dirty. They say Corn cob polishes brass to a higher shine than walnut, but mine are plenty brite for me and the girls I date.
 Whats really amazing is the Stainless Steel media out there. The stuff it spendy, like $50 for a few #'s, last forever though. Needs to used used in a slurry, but it cleans the inside and primer pockets like NEW brass, amazing. Argument is about being too clean, residual carbon inside the neck affects bullet tension, the same issue is realized when cases are annealed, removing all carbon.
found elsewhere

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 07:17:59 AM »
IIRC, I read that the rice does work but it takes along time. That was natural long grain and not minute rice, minute rice just turned to powder.
 I bought my Thumlers tumbler used on an auction site, and with it came two bags of cork media. It worked to remove carbon but left the cases really dull. I knew we had walnut as blasting media at work and tried some of that, been hooked ever since. The only prep work required for the walnut litter is to cut the bag and pour some out.
 I did get a small jug of Lyman Turbo Brite and put about a tablespoon of that in, and like others, every once in awhile I'll toss a used dryer sheet in to pull/collect dust. I've swapped the stuff out twice now. When my fingers turn dark from handling the brass it's time, it still cleans well, it just gets really dirty. They say Corn cob polishes brass to a higher shine than walnut, but mine are plenty brite for me and the girls I date.
 Whats really amazing is the Stainless Steel media out there. The stuff it spendy, like $50 for a few #'s, last forever though. Needs to used used in a slurry, but it cleans the inside and primer pockets like NEW brass, amazing. Argument is about being too clean, residual carbon inside the neck affects bullet tension, the same issue is realized when cases are annealed, removing all carbon.
I would not mind spending $50.00 on media that last forever. Do you know if Grafts or Midsouth sell it? Thanks Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »
This looks like a good place for stainlesss steel media.
http://www.progresstool.com/cat_tumbler_media.cfm
They have round balls with flat spots on them. I would think the 1/8" ones would do good on brass.
Then they have these ballcones that are also 1/8". I think these would probably work better on brass. What do you think? If I am understanding it rite it would cost $16.50 for 25 pounds of it. That should be more than enough to fill my Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 tumbler. I think when the media gets dirty you could just wash it some how and reuse it seeing as it is stainless steel and should not rust.
http://www.progresstool.com/pd_ballcones_media.cfm
Thanks Dale

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 08:26:30 AM »
Never heard of stainless steel media. My favorite is corncob. But the last I bought was walnut shells because I got a real deal on it. It works ok.

Merry Christmas !
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline dickttx

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
I read about the white rice somewhere and tried it.
Swiped it out of my wife's pantry so it didn't cost anything.
Worked really good to clean the cases but seems to have left them slightly oily.
The rice was really dirty after I used it.  Probably wouldn't want to cook it.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
If I am understanding it rite it would cost $16.50 for 25 pounds of it.
It's 16.50 per pound, 25# for 412.50
It's NOT for Vibratory "tumblers",,,Those work by the weight of the brass pushing down on the lighter media. The stainless mass is heavier than 1 brass case, the cases would lay on top and dance.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/brass-cleaning-with-stainless-media/
found elsewhere

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Don't bother with the rice...Or the pet world lizard litter. Just get the stiff from Midway, treated or not, and add a bit of polish.
I've been full circle on this before, and found out that while it's an experience, it's a long ride...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »
Been using rice recently.  Not quite as good as walnut shells, but not bad, and very available.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »
Dale, I have used rice and it works good. Like someone said you have to leave it in the tumbler a little longer. I change it out after each tumble.
I feel a lot of the cleaning comes from brass on brass. There would be a lot of rubbing going on. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
About a year ago I bought a bag of walnut media on eBay.  The bag filled a medium flat rate box.  It should last me a long time and it was dirt cheap.  I think the postage was about the same as the bulk walnut media.  I've also bought walnut from a pet store that sold parrots and other large birds.  It cost about a quarter as much as media from a gunshop.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Dale, as I have posted elseware on the forum I get a 50lb bag of crushed walnut shell at my local feed and tack store. It runs me about $13.00 for 50 lbs. I do a lot of brass cleaning and a bag still lasts4 or 5 yrs. I've gotten even cheaper in my old age and add several squirts of car polish every now and then and it lasts even longer.

Gun Runner

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »
Like gunrunner said go to your local feed mill. you can buy bulk corncob or walnut there cheap enough that its silly to try cleaning it or using anything else. Rice does work buy its alot more expensive and the dust in your media contains lead and probably shouldnt be fooled with. I tumble ALOT of brass and when my media gets tired i toss it and put in new. 30 bucks will buy you enough media to last a good long time. Probably a lifetime for many handloaders.
Dale, as I have posted elseware on the forum I get a 50lb bag of crushed walnut shell at my local feed and tack store. It runs me about $13.00 for 50 lbs. I do a lot of brass cleaning and a bag still lasts4 or 5 yrs. I've gotten even cheaper in my old age and add several squirts of car polish every now and then and it lasts even longer.

Gun Runner
blue lives matter

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 04:19:42 AM »

Gun Runner
We do have a local feed store and that is just what I am going to do. Thanks Dale