Author Topic: Tracker II 20 gauge  (Read 1408 times)

Offline dannyfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Tracker II 20 gauge
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
Hello all I was wondering if you could share with me your personal experiences with this set up and how many of you drilled and tapped it for scope and what kind of accuracy are obtaining from these Handi little rigs. Also how much are these running for at the moment? I am thinking of ordering one as I live in a shotgun only unit. Though I typically Rifle hunt not far from home my back yard is shotgun only and have had success in the past as i have killed a few deer with 12 gauge. Actually used to own a Tracker II 12 Gauge but it would rattle your teeth every time you were brave enough to pull the trigger sold it to a neighbor who has found success with it killed a nice buck a few years ago with it. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Dan

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Tracker II 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »
I have one that I had drilled & Tapped. With Lightfield Hybrid Express 2 3/4" shells I shot a 3 shot group at 75 yards that was 2 holes touching. I have a Simmons Pro Diamond master series shot gun scope 4X32 on it. This was my 2nd deer season using it and have put meat in the freezer both seasons with it. I was looking around for one for a friend of mine and found them for $189 new on the rack.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:36:33 AM »
I know my old Buck model 12ga. (smoothie) will rock my world (Im 6'1", 205), but the 20ga Topper with bird barrel and slugs is more civilized. The rifled barrel will result in more recoil than a smoothbore, but if it weighs more than 5.25# that will help. You can add some weight in various ways. I think you are on the right track with the 20 on that weight gun.
Be prepared to have to spend some pretty good money on the ammo; it seems fully rifled bores prefer sabot type loadings. If you havent, go to the Slug Gun forum here on GBO.
If you are going to sit more than still hunt you might consider the USH in 20, or even 12. The extra weight right off will really help tame the recoil and it is ready for scope.
Another option for you, since you want to scope it, would be to get a std model 20 (with the recoil pad!) and have it D/Ted for the scope mount, and add some weight. See how it shoots with the bird barrel and Fosters and/or Brennecke and if need be cut it down a tad to a cylinder bore.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:08:04 AM »
I have one but do not have it drilled and tapped. It is my favorite walking/scouting gun during deer season. I also found the lightfield slugs shoot great with one big hole at 25 yards and 2" to 2 1/2" groups at 50 with open sights. Recoil is not bad at all. I paid $175 out the door a few years ago. Another option that I am looking into is the Ultra Light Slug in 20 ga. They sell for $210 around here and have a real nice feel to them. The ultra slug guns are nice but I find them too heavy especially in a 20 ga. I would probably opt for one in a 12 Ga because of recoil but in a 20 Ga I would go with the ultra light.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »
The best advice I ever got regarding a rifled slug gun was to buy a bunch of different sabots and shoot them for group before I ever start sighting in. Find what it likes to shoot first and it will save you a head ache. Like I stated above my Tracker II 20ga is a tack driver with the lightfields and my sons 20ga USH is a close 2nd in accuracy with the 2 3/4 buck hammers. Don't forget to try the buck hammers either, if they group well in your gun they are generally about half the price of sabots. Just don't buy them from walmart they are only about $1 cheaper there for some reason.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
We have drill & tapped several Tracker II's in 20 ga. With a good variable power scope and the newer sabot slug offerings you have a 200 yard very accurate platform to hunt with. The Winchester Partition Gold 3" sabot @2000 fps really puts the smackdown on whitetails. We have synthetic stock sets on ours and they are very light. The only downside is the sight in where recoil can get to be a little much, but after you are sighted in, a couple of shots before season and we are good to go. We have some 30-30 Toppers set up the same way and we get our "no recoil" trigger time this way.
Here are a couple of pics of ours and a whitetail my son took in 05 with his Tracker II.

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:13:19 AM »
Thanks for the pics Nice Buck! How bad is the recoil of your tracker II? What would you compare it to. I'm headed to the gun shop today to get a few prices on the Tracker II and the Ultra Slug Hunter in wood and laminate.

Dan

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Im thinkin' the 20ga. USH with a low comb buttstock (c/w recoil pad) and open sights would be a nice 'poor man's express rifle'.
Dang.....another project!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
Went to my local gun shop today and inquired on prices. They had a Tracker II 20 gauge on the shelf for $189.99 I asked what the Ultra cost in plain hardwood the pallet wood stock and they told me $189.99. And I verified that it was drilled and tapped for scope first. They said it was and I asked them how they could be the same price the only thing they could figure was that the open sights on the Tracker were the additional cost but for whatever reason it just didn't make sense. So I went to another sporting goods store and they said that they could get the Ultra in walnut finish the pallet wood for &179.99. Drilled and tapped for scope. I was pleasantly surprised but still not sure how they could be the same price. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Dan

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »
A given store operates on a margin over and above their costs; they get to choose what it is and can go with what the local market will bear and/or suggested retail. Some hot items can sell for a premium above sug.ret.; ya gotta love free enterprise. Both prices sound pretty good to me, just pick which model you want and who you think will give you better service after the sale. I like to see and handle a piece, and $10 one way or the other is no big deal if I like it.
BTW, Ive seen good wood, mismatched wood, and dingers that look like a used gun cleaned and put back on the rack.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
Well i'm not worried about the ten dollar difference haha plus for the shop that has it for $189.99 I have a $40 gift certificate. So not to worried about that haha. The only sad part is that all the distributors are currently out of stock since its the end of the year and they having to pay an inventory tax. Can't say I blame them but from what I hear I will have to wait till mid January or February. What can you do right? I hope they get them in soon. Thanks for all your replies.

Dan

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:21 AM »
Gander has 20ga rifled Pardners for sale @ $179 they shoot just as good as the USH and the ULSH I have had both of those in the past but am now using a Pardner that I put together from parts for less than $100. The ULSH that I bought was one of the first few off the line and it came with the Pardner bbl. It ain't a whole lot of fun to shoot from the bench but walking in the woods with her is very plesant @ a little over 5#. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"