Author Topic: Not sure what it is.  (Read 786 times)

Offline white feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Not sure what it is.
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
Im doing some work for a widowed lady who lives on a ranch, while working on her shed as she calls it i noticed something that looked like a cannon.
The boar looks to be about 11/4 at the muzzle, is mounted on a carrage with wheels that look to be about 24 inches, had a breach block at one time, has a piece of 3/4X3/4 angle iron welded in the muzzle, wheels are just about to fall apart, looks like it might have been painted gray at one time, i dont have any idea what it is and i havent been able to find out anything on the internet, at the breach end looks like the shell was maybe 3 inches wide at the rim, all the metal looks to be in good shape, i asked her if she would be interested in tradeing out some work for it and she thought for a minute and said yes, the thing is not doing anybody any good just sitting there, i told her i collected old guns and was interested, just like to see if anyone here might have an idea what it is, thanks for any and all info, WF~

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Not sure what it is.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
well, i have heard that everyone years ago thought that cannons during the civil war were painted gray.  and any small cannon that doesnt look correct, my fist thought is old n-ssa cannon. there were so many incorrect scaled guns in the fiftys and 60's that are still out there stuck in the back barns just rusting. or sitting out by mail boxes. remember there were no reenactors before the n-ssa. and there was no need small reproduction cannons til then,

or or or   its some ones old fancy salute cannon,      we need pics.

rick bryan

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
 Sounds interesting. Please do post pics if you can.

The angle iron in the muzzle might have been put there to prevent anyone from loading a projectile.

Edit - On second thought maybe not, since it's a breech-loader....
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
Photos would help.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »
Yes!

photo's please  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
white feather,
I'm also intrigued by your description of the cannon, the angle iron welded in the "muzzle" would suggest that the maker (or someone at a later date) only intended for this breech loader to fire blanks. Like the others have already said, a photograph would go a long way in helping to figure out what kind of cannon you've discovered.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline white feather

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:40:50 AM »

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, i dont have any pictures, i was looking it over through a broken window pane and useing a rake handle to lift up all the trash thats covering it, it is a old barn that the wind has caused to lean, there is 60 years of trash in this barn, old bed springs along with lots of feed sacks the rancher threw in there, there are lots of rats and mice in there along with rattlesnakes, im going to have to remove a door to gain access, then carefully start removeing the feed sacks and slowly clean it out to get to the cannon, i put lots of moth balls in there hoping it would run the snakes out but with the cold weather i dont think they will leave, and the nearest hospital is 100 miles away so i cant chance getting biten, i may waite till it warms back up and spray ammonia in there and run them out and then start cleaning.
The lady who owns it told me some of the history on this old cannon and i need to see if i can document it, it belonged to her late husbands granfather, they used it in Oklahoma in the indian wars, not sure when they switched from a muzzle loaded cannon to a breach loaded cannon, ill post back here as soon as im able to get more info ans a picture, thanks for the help, WF~

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
Yeah this hobby/obsession is not worth getting bit over, looking forward to the spring thaw and photos!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
If temperatures are below 65-70 degrees the snake should be in hibernation or at least very lethargic. If there is a best time to work around them it's when it is cold.