Author Topic: Redding 3-Die Set  (Read 414 times)

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Redding 3-Die Set
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
     I am looking at purchasing a Redding 3-Die Set for my 350 rem mag, I have never bought Redding dies before. This set comes with two sizer dies one for neck sizing only, the other for full length sizing. I will asume that standard thread is on all dies to fit rcbs rock chucker. I need some input on these dies pro's con's which ever.

woods

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Redding 3-Die Set
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
I have several of their three die sets that I use with my Rockchucker. I do prefer to change the lock rings out for the hornady style, however.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:06:46 AM »
Redding dies are some of the best mass-produced dies available.  Their weak point is their lock rings, as Tom mentioned above.  All modern threaded dies are threaded to a standard 7/8-14 TPI thread, and can be used on all modern reloading presses, except for a very few - the Dillon SDB (Square Deal B) press comes readily to mind.

If you don't want to replace the Redding lock rings, remove the setscrew and put a piece or two of lead shot in the hole, then insert the screw, adjust the die, and tighten the screw firmly.  The lead shot will mold to the die threads, and give the screw a good grip on the die body.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »
I like Redding dies as a general rule but another thing they could improve on is their ncek sizing button.  You can buy a carbide replacement expander ball but they cost almost as much as the die.  I'm not a big Hornady fan but they got it right with the eliptical expander, even then I find I have to polish them.  Cleaning the inside of the case neck is something I find pays big dividends in reducing runout when using a standard FL sizing die.  Less friction in the neck means less case neck distortion on the downstroke of the ram.  The dreaded sizing button and the case neck distortion it can cause is the reason for the S-Die that uses a precision bushing to size the neck from the outside only.  It works great if your brass is uniform but it translates any nonuniformites that are already present.  You will have a good set of dies if you purchase the Redding 3-die set.   Another consideration is the Forster Benchrest set.  I really like their seat die design with the sliding sleeve that captures the neck, shoulder, and web and keeps the bullet in axial alignment with the center line of the case.  It makes very concentric ammo.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
What they said. Redding makes great die.