Author Topic: A question for all metals experts  (Read 589 times)

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
A question for all metals experts
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
This is a little off topic, but here goes.  A tree fell in a windstorm and bent part of the reel that holds the solar cover for our pool.   What is actually bent is the handle that rolls/unrolls it.  I cant seem to locate a replacement part.  It is just a 3/4" solid aluminum rod with 2 90 degree bends to make a handle.  I just started looking for aluminum rod and it appears that there are several types; 2011, 2024, 6061, and 7065.  Any suggestions as to what to get?  How hard will it be to bend (I could not bend the original piece straight as it slides through a bearing, I had to cut it off.  Could an auto shop that bends exhaust pipe bend something like this?

Thanks
Rob

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: A question for all metals experts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
I'm no expert but it looks like 2011 is good for bending.

Bending, shaping and forming in general may be done with conventional tooling. Following cold working the part is usually age hardened to develop better strength properties.
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/2011.asp#Spec

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »
Bending something that big is going to be 'fun' to get it right the first time.

You might want to consider fabricating from several parts - as the end product might well look better.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
I would use 6061 and make it in several pieces.
It would look good, and that's all I have to tool to do.

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
alright,  well i do have experiance in bending aluminum, flat bar. and pipe. 

with hollow pipe its easy with a pipe bender, but if you are looking for sharp bends then it will be like when i bend aluminum flat bar. you have to use heat. and it is a delicate dance of not enough heat and tomuch. al. will crack and break if you bend it in sharp bends without heat.  I use a acytilene torch when heating. but it will melt the al. very easily so the dance begins.  buy more then you need and make a practice bend so you learn about the heat. and it will be easy.  also al. can be hammer welded while it is still hot. if it cracks then you can take a cold chisle and peen the cracks over and hanner flat like welding it back together.  or if you have a spool gun like me then just gun and weld the al. with a mig welder. 

but before all of that.  try to fix the old one first.  thats your best bet.

rick bryan

Offline robbob

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:10 AM »
Thanks for the advise guys.  I Had thought about making it in several pieces also, but don't have the tools/experience to do that.  Looks like I'll have to stop by one of the local metal shops.

Rob

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
One idea would be to use a piece of 3/4" aluminum round for the straight roller and find a piece of 1" x .120 wall, steel tubing 2" long that slips over the end of the round and through-bolt this together.  Weld a flat strip 90 degrees off the tube and another tube 90 degrees at the other end to form a Z shape handle.  It would be a removable steel handle.  You could also have this handle powder coated.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
Log on to McMaster-Carr.com and go to their on-line catalogue... most of the aluminum alloys and their heats are sold but most importantly they publish info about wellding, forming, etc. for each of the alloy/heats they sell.