Author Topic: Handis SUCK.. Fur down.. Barely  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Handis SUCK.. Fur down.. Barely
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »
Now I wonder which ol'timer that was!!  :D
Tim

I dunno.... ::) ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
All my Handi's are ejectors, won't own anything else.  Have never had a stuck case, can't afford it, I hunt The Hunters.  A stuck case means I could be dinner.  If I wanted to shoot a gun with extractors I would use my TCR.  The reason I bought my first Handi was that I discovered it had ejectors.  I quite buying Handis when they stopped making ejectors.  It's called doing your homework, making sure the gun is ready before you pull that trigger.  Always have a cleaning rod and kit on the snowmachine or the 4-wheeler. 

Years ago saw a bolt gun that would not pull the case.  I just happened to have a length of pencil size lead fishing weight in my pocket.  We dropped it down the barrel and it popped the case out.  Cutting that notch in the barrel sounds like a good idea anyway.

My latest gun purchases have been a TC (Icon) and a Savage.  Would have liked to have had a Handi, but no Handi extractors will go into my vaults.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
Hey Pete- I now have three extractors... six months ago I swore I didn't want one. But for the rimmed cases they are very quick and easy, but for the .223 it is a bugger to get a spent case out. The extractor holds so tight against the case it would be impossible with no finger nails  to grip/pry them out. Quick said I could flatten the spring a little to make it easier but I have not seen it any better yet. May have to rip it back apart and give even more pressure to try to flatten the spring. But I have both extractor and ejector and on  two of my ejector guns that proved to be sticky, I did groove the barrel for quick extraction in case of emergency (like the O.P. had this day). But after getting pickier about case lube removal have had MUCH less sticking.   thejanitor

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »
When hunting dangerous game, the "ping" of the ejector could help a wounded Cape buffalo, lion, leopard, rhino, or elephant locate me in the tall grass, so they could turn me into a greasy spot on the ground... ::) just kidding ! But seriously, I prefer the extractor.The extractor is silent. As a right hander, I just practice holding the rifle by the forend with my left hand after breaking the action open, so my right hand is free to pluck the fired case out and insert a new one from the slip-on butt stock cartridge carrier.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
When hunting dangerous game, the "ping" of the ejector could help a wounded Cape buffalo, lion, leopard, rhino, or elephant locate me in the tall grass, so they could turn me into a greasy spot on the ground... ::) just kidding ! But seriously, I prefer the extractor.The extractor is silent. As a right hander, I just practice holding the rifle by the forend with my left hand after breaking the action open, so my right hand is free to pluck the fired case out and insert a new one from the slip-on butt stock cartridge carrier.

That's exactly what I do, and I haven't had an elephant stomp me yet. ;D

They're not too common here on Da U.P. though.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »
I'm sorry, but the extractor eliminates all the problems.....cutting grooves, digging them out with screw drivers, carrying a rod, etc. etc. I don't use ejectors because of all the above, plus I don't enjoy crawling around in snow, dirt, manure, mud, or weeds looking for cases.  I'll stick with my extractors.

Pete

Makes sense to me!  I wish a couple of my shotguns were extractor only.  I loose a few less shell casings.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »
Im thinkin' dangerous game can smell where you are more than maybe hear the ejector working anyway.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
Simply opening the gun makes noise, but if it's done immediately after the shot the animals are still trying to figure out what happened and won't hear it, mainly because the sound of the shot is still reverbarating from the hills.  The animal I shot is never the problem anyway, it's his buddies that I am worried about.  You shoot one wolf, and there is usually three or ten more to contend with.  Some run away, some don't.  As for Bears, if they know I am there I don't shoot unless it is an emergency.  At that point the more shots I can get off the better.  I don't want to have to reach down and remove an empty, I want that empty gone, so I can drop in a fresh round and close for another shot.  That is why I quite carrying my TCR, cold fingers don't remove cases well if at all.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.