Author Topic: Sabots in a 30 caliber  (Read 805 times)

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Sabots in a 30 caliber
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
I have tried Rem Accelerators in 30.06 and 30-30 with poor results. I read on another post
that sabots are available for handloaders. I understand that the design may have been
updated and accuracy has improved. Has anyone here used the newer sabots with acceptable
accuracy? Any imformation would be most welcome.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Sabots in a 30 caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »
couple years ago i fooled with them a bunch in the 3030 and actually got them to shoot around an inch and a half at a 100 our of a couple 3030s. I dont remember the data and all my loading data from back then got burned in the fire but i was schooled by another guy doing it and the trick to it was LOTS of 4198. The sabot load data out there is very much on the mild side and none of it shot well. Keep in mind too that most 3030 data even for normal jacketed rounds is on the mild side. What i found is as the pressure went up the groups went down.
blue lives matter

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »
We concluded in the 3006 it was to do with the twist. One had 1-10 and the other 1-12. The 1-12 shot very well.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Sorry about tthe fire Lloyd.
FM

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
I load them in the 7.62 x 39 using 52 gr. .224 dia. bullets,they cycle through my SKS fine and are about minute of soda can at 50 yds. I use the Lee Universal flaring die to flair the case mouth.

Sabot's,seater and load data.
http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html

Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply res45. Minute of soda can at 50 is better than I did with the
Remmys. What powder/charge are you using? I load 7.62x39 myself for an Encore,
this could be fun!
FM

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »
For the initial test I used 25.5 grs. of Reloader#7 which is about 1.0 grs. under the Max load listed for 123 gr. J bullets in the Lyman manual.  No pressure issues since the sabot/bullet are just under one half the weight of the standard factory bullet and the sabot itself is slightly undersized and tends to mimic the characteristics of a cast bullet rather than a jacketed bullet.

I've only done the one test so your results may vary,I do plan to work on some other loads using different powder/bullet combination and do some accuracy testing along with chrono data.  The initial load I had worked up pushed the little 52 gr. bullet at around 2800 fps. average on my friends chrono.  On a side note make sure that you don't shoot sabots in any firearm that has a muzzle attachment such as a brake or suppressor.
Linux Mint Mate 15