Author Topic: Advice needed for Pardner purchase  (Read 2019 times)

Offline picb

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice needed for Pardner purchase
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
Makes a lot of sense. I think I'll stick with getting the new Pardner.  The Savage looks interesting but its more of an "unknown" whereas I am pretty confident that I'll be happy with a Pardner 20 gauge.

Offline OSUBucks1500

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »
The pawn shops by my parents house in lansing, mi have pardners in okay shape for as cheap as $70 and like new ones for $90-100.00. Gander mnt had the same used guns in the same shape and they wanted $100+ for even old banged up pardners so look at pawn shops but have somewhat of an idea of what you looking at because some pawn shops charge the same price new for old guns. Just go and look and if youve read all these posts youll have enough info to know when you found a real deal. If you come across a Pardner Tracker 1, by that for sure dont pass one up.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 04:10:08 AM »

The Savage is a nice classic old gun with beautiful lines. That said it is older and parts might not be as easy to come by as for the H&R which is still being made. I wouldn't mind having a Savage but only in addition to my Pardners.

Then there is always the possibility of being able to swap barrels on the Pardner.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »
If the Savage is decent ,grabit an the shells :o, you can always pick up a handi if it don't work out..at gunshows you could trade the savage fer a handi and git sum boot... i have both and there will be a handi leave before any of my Savages do.. ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline picb

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
I don't have any research to back this up but it seems like guns are cheaper in the midwest and back east than they are here on the West Coast.  Maybe its my imagination but you east coast guys are always talking about how you picked up a used Pardner at the pawn shop for almost nothing.  Maybe there are just more guns so the used selection is cheaper.

Its possible I may be able to get the Savage on trade for services.  If thats the case, I'll probably shoot it and see how I like it.  If I end up getting the Pardner as well, I'll give the Savage to a buddy who wants a 20 ga.

Thanks again for all the input and advice.  This is a great forum!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
There are more than a couple of us who wont begrudge you getting the Savage! You will most likely end up with an H&R too. After all, you are here.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline picb

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »
You are probably right.  I've researched the Pardner, watched videos online about the Pardner, visited stores that sell Pardners, etc...  Like my Henry lever action, the Pardner just seems a gun people enjoy and is very reasonably priced. 

I don't know much about H&R as a company but I haven't heard too many complaints.  The Henry company and in particular its President Anthony Imperato is famous for their incredible customer service and committment to Henry owners.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Oh, and we're committed too; or should be........... ;)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »

I am as long as my wife doesn't figure out how many I have. ;D

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline picb

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
I have always figured that is the REAL reason the gun safe was invented.