Author Topic: heavy bullet loads for the 35 remington  (Read 754 times)

Offline argie1891

• Trade Count: (2)
heavy bullet loads for the 35 remington
« on: December 11, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »
I have a type 99 arisaka rifle that i put a new blr. on and chambered for the 35 remington cartridge. my intention is to shoot it with heavy bullets at fairly low velosity. any load data for the lyman 358009 bullet would be appreciated. this bullet weighs right at 282 gr. from my alloy and i am not concerned with speed. the rifleing twist is 1 in 14 so there will be no problem stabalizing the heavy bullet. i know someone else has to tried this heavy bullet in the 35 remington. thans in advance joe gifford aka argie1891

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline argie1891

Re: heavy bullet loads for the 35 remington
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:53:43 AM »
thanks for the reply that will be a great help. i am still hoping to get some data using traditional cast bullt powers like 4759 2400 and unique. these loads will be a good place to start in working up loads.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »
I've got several Marlin 336 SCs that are chambered in 35 Remington. I ran across a deal on a bunch of Winchester 35 caliber 250 gr flat points that I'm using in the Marlins. I have no clue where I got this data from but it makes my Marlins think they are benchrest rifles. Near one hole groups at 100 yds with a 4 power scope as the biggest. I'm using 33.0 grs IMR4064 under these pills. I don't know the velocity but I'd expect something like 1700'ps. Zero signs of pressure and the cases resize easily so pressure is not an issue. I've dug a few out of the sand behind the target and expansion is picture perfect...but that's only if I'm hunting sand monsters! I've never put any of these on meat. If you find a good load using SR4759, I'd like to know. I picked up a bunch of it from a gunshop at $7.00 a can. It works better than you want to know out of a 45-70 with the Remington 405 Core-Loks.

Offline argie1891

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
phill shaps book lists some loads for powder that hasnt been made for many years. i dont have it handy but he lists i think 1204 and another powder. i think i will take rifle scale and my press to the range and work up loads there. i know that i can find some loads just have to have a break in the weather. it was warm enough today but we got 8 inches of snow yesterday and it would have been a wet mess as it is melting fast. joe gifford

Offline argie1891

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
made it to range today. i reloaded at the range and worked up a load for the 358009 bullet with 4759. i started at 14 gr. and quit at 19.3 gr. pressure seemed fairly light but i had reached my goal of 1600 fps. i only shot it at 25 yards as at this point i was more concerned with load development than anything else. at this range all bullets were touching. next stop the 100 yard range to see what it can do. my bolt action has been throated so i could seat bullets out and have the gas check in the neck. more to come later. argie1891

Offline argie1891

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
cold day at the range so i just shot the 35 remington at 50 yards. the 358009 grouped into3/4 inch. with 19 gr. of 4759. my from wasnt not the best in the cold. i am sure i can do better when it warms up. The heavy bullet load is starting to look like it wants to group. more when it warms up. joe gifford