Author Topic: Dahlgren Stainless Defender Railway Gun  (Read 2319 times)

Offline battleshipduke

• Trade Count: (0)
Dahlgren Stainless Defender Railway Gun
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Hello all,

This is a cannon I made that I call a "Dahlgren Stainless Defender". It's design is based on elements inspired by my favorite cannons.

Dahlgren Barrel from South Bend Replicas

Carriage is a combination of a standard broadside truck, Dictator mortar and a WWII Railway gun.

So far this is the best cannon I made but it was also the easiest and most cost efficient.

As you can see it uses a sandwich type construction that is all held together by the trolleys, no tools are necessary to disassemble. It is 400 pounds with the heaviest part the Barrel at 150. This sandwich design can be used with different side plate shapes and in different sizes. This design can be drastically changed to suite scale, shape, mortar, gun and still go together the same way.

The side plates were water-jet cut from 1/2 stainless steel. Regular steel could be used to keep the cost down and 1/4 thick would be plenty strong. Water-jet companies need little more than a picture of the carriage side plates, trunnion diameter and axle diameter. Once they make the first set, the machine can make exact copies for your buddies. Just be sure to order right and left side plates because the water-jet cuts at a slight angle and you want the plates to match.

The trucks are 3 ton I- Beam trolleys that were bought from Northern equipment for $60.00 ea. They are about 60 pounds each and are the best cannon wheels per dollar per pound. One set of trolleys could make a very nice mortar base. They are upside down and inside out. Trolleys are available from 1/2 ton capacity on up to 100 ton.

The rest of the stuff is just scrap steel. All the steel was sandblasted and gun blued except the stainless side plates and the painted barrel.

The best thing about this cannon was that it was not expensive and it was easy to make. Cutting labor by using the water-jet was cheap and very accurate. Using the ball bearing I-Beam trolley was a huge improvement on any wheels I have used so far and way cheaper. This gun uses stainless side plates because it is used on my boat in salt water. This gun replaces a simpler version that was all steel.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Dahlgren Stainless Defender Railway Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
Man that is pretty cool , please show more photos of cannon on what looks like the  Nautilus

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
Very good looking Dahlgren and an interesting looking boat. Congrats!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
Looks very interesting, and welcome to the forum!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
WITHOUT A DOUBT you have bragging rights!

;D

Smoke and flame pix?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:06:06 AM »
How can you not smile when you look at these pictures. ;D ;D
I love this forum!  We are all so wierd! :D
Very cool! :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:14:45 AM »
Now that is different, the boat that is... The rail cannon is nice also... :o Lol!

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:03:14 AM »
You add a whole new meaning to keeping your powder dry ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:04 AM »
     Far and Away the best free-style cannon I have ever seen!  I finally understand why some people want to use stainless steel in the construction of their artillery.  What a wonderful boat!!  Very, very, very, very, COOL!

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »
I like both the cannon and the boat, so when are you building the boiler and the steam engine to power it?

And how do you load the cannon while on the water?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
Interesting warship and bow gun, Duke; you've got me to wondering if Captain Cousteau also carried some ordnance on the Calypso.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
WOW! Even cooler then Jim Birchers BNA steam boat.

The bow sprint cannon mount could double as a ram. Arrrrr....

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
I would like to see it in combat with the giant octipus!

Canister?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »
I would like to see it in combat with the giant octipus!
Canister?

Forget the canister.
Zap the octopus with electricity from your power plant! Or have Ned Land stab it with his harpoon!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
lacking suitable words...

cool... very cool.

Your neighbors give you a wider berth than most I'll bet ;-)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »
as not any other of the guys here have asked the most important question , I got to do it :

IS IT A BOAT OR A SUB ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »
as not any other of the guys here have asked the most important question , I got to do it :

IS IT A BOAT OR A SUB ??

Outboard motors don't work too well under water. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »

IS IT A BOAT OR A SUB ??

Outboard motors don't work too well under water. :P
Zulu

It has a snorkle..

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
sorry didnt see the outboard motor until now   ;D
it was way to much other stuff to look at
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline battleshipduke

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »
Hello Everyone and thank you for all your kind words. I am glad you like the Stainless Defender. It has turned out to be a great cannon and I am glad I was able to share it with you all through this fine forum.

The "Archduke" is my gun platform. As many of you have found, the bigger cannons get the harder they are to move. Also, big guns are hard to get to the best places to shoot. Mounting the gun to the bow solved the transportation problem and allows me to bring the gun anywhere there is water.

There are several things I have learned over the years firing over water aside from having to keep things dry. Shooting the gun that is part of the boat is pretty neat. When you are sitting in he drivers seat you are looking down the sight of the Dahlgren. Like a airplane, just point the boat and shoot, steer the craft left or right, trim the bow up or down. The report of the gun is what is all about when shooting over water. It sounds way better than at out the range and truly sounds like rolling thunder. Because of where I am, I have the ability to shoot between or at mountains. When you shoot down a long channel of water you hear the initial boom of the gun and then you hear the sound roll off into the distance. When you shoot at a mountain, you hear the initial report, then the thunder heading toward the mountain at the speed of sound and then the BOOM!!! Sometimes it is hard to believe that you made a boom that big. Another neat thing is that smoke from previous rounds surround the craft making the shock wave visible when the next round goes off.

I would say there are three great things about having a boat mounted gun. First is having the gun when and where you want it. We do a lot of camping on nearby islands Many a time I have looked at a open bay with huge mountains and said to myself "This would be a great place to shoot a big cannon".

Second is the Guns report, cannons sound great over water. When shooting over great distances the act of shooting the cannon seems to last longer. Instead of just a quick boom, you get a boom start, a roll of thunder during and the final crash when the noise hits the mountain or what ever you aimed at.

Third is it is funner for more people. People don't know they like cannons so they do not go to the range. Out on the water everyone is there, family friends, people you don't know.

Logistics of the boat mounted gun.

The very first thing is safety. No "Bugs Bunny" maneuver. You can not flip the gun backwards and shoot your own boat. The barrel can go down and almost vertical but not straight back.

Over water black tape is used over the vent and a rubber NAPA freeze plug goes in the muzzle to keep water out. When you get to your firing location you just walk out on the bow with standard implements and load pre-packaged charges and ignite with fuse. I have used electric but fuse is far simpler.

The barrel is not the far from the water. If there were waves or rough water it could easily drown the barrel. This is ok if you only want to shoot once.  As you can see, the Archduke has a landing gear. The Archduke can drive on to the beach, this not only stabilizes the gun platform, it brings the barrel up out of the water. These pictures show the landing gear, the Archduke does not need a trailer to haul. In the final picture you can see me pulling up out of the water on Admiralty Island. Once grounded the craft is stabilized and you can shoot a lot easier and depending on your schedule you can let the whole thing go high and dry.

The Archduke is a semi-submersible I built in 2002, I have probably babbled on long enough about the cannon so I'll post this link to a little article Popular Mechanics did on it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/gonzo/diy-submarine-backyard-genius-awards

Thank you all for looking and thanks for allowing me to participate in your fine forum.

Here is a video of the Dahlgren underwater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpbtxbd_UIM

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 06:46:11 AM »
There is one thing missing from your post...Smoke and fire!!!

Offline battleshipduke

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 07:16:27 AM »
There is one thing missing from your post...Smoke and fire!!!

You are right, I am seriously lacking in the smoke & fire pictures. My friends have some pics and video I can get and that show Modern Marvels on the History channel took some video of the Stainless Defender firing at the range. That should be on TV sometime in the next few months. I have recently joined the digital age and have my first camera with video. Now that I have someone to show pics to I will be sure to take more.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »
If your video ability is anything like your workmanship..that will be some video to really look forward to! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 07:44:23 AM »
So if the barrel will tilt vertical, is that how you load it on the water?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline battleshipduke

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »
Yes, most of the time I walk out on the bow, tilt the barrel up and load almost normally. If the weather is nice and I plan on shooting awhile I will have everything pre measured and ready to go and load the gun once when I get to where I am going.

If I plan on shooting only once and/or if the weather is bad. I will load it at the dock, black tape the vent and black tape the muzzle with the wire coming out. If i do not want to get out of the boat I will use a electric fuse. If getting out of the boat is not a big deal I will put the fire lite fuse in once I get there.

I defiantly want to make a .22 blank firing devise with a lanyard