Author Topic: Loose hinge pin  (Read 427 times)

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Loose hinge pin
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
I went to my local dealer to see about trading for a CR 45 Colt. When I looked it over I found the hinge pin had a noticable amount of slack when the action was open. Closed it seemed tight. Is this something to be concerned about?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Loose hinge pin
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
It ain't the hinge pin that's loose. Take the forearm spacer off, put a piece of tape between it and the forearm and screw it back together. It should be tight now.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
Loose when open is not an issue at all.  Only when closed up does it matter.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
Just to clarify... ::)

1) Is the actual pin in the receiver loose? IE, you grab just the pin between your index finger and thumb and you can feel it move?

OR

2) As the others surmised your speaking only loose when the barrel is opened.

If #1 this one IS A PROBLEM.

If #2, as Spanky and Larry mentioned, its not and OK and likely will cause no issues.

Its fixed as Spanky outlined. I have had one very bad one that I made a shim from steel shim stock, that I fit behind the plastic spacer and on top of the wood.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:58:42 AM »
 Thanks guys for the quick help. I didn't look the pin over as there was two rifles there at the time. When I got serious and went back the loose one was the only one left. I'll take a closer look, thanks again.