Author Topic: Nickled Brass Question  (Read 477 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Nickled Brass Question
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:34:19 AM »
While I know that shooting the same load in a different manufacturers brass can change your POI, especially with a scoped rifle, has anyone noticed any difference when shooting the same load in one manufacturers brass and change over to that same manufacturers nickled brass ?
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Nickled Brass Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:06 AM »
I personally have never noticed a difference.  I have shot both plated and unplated through my .280, .308, .22-250, and .223 without a shift in POI.  It may be that I never really paid attention though either. 

This sounds like a very good test to run once it warms up a bit.  Thank you, yet another project that involves my favorite hobby!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:51:13 AM »
I have seen no change in POI with my 270 Win Classic Featherweight.  I trim, measure and weigh every cartridge; load heaviest to lightest in that order; and weigh every powder charge too.  No difference at all.

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »
I also have seen no change in POI when going to nickle cases if they are the same make as the bass cases.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »
I am working up some loads in the 300 win mag. I have used some plated and unplated Win brass and see no difference. But then I weighed all the cases within each brand and sorted for like weights.  I was surprised that some Plated Rem cases were lighter than unplated by a few grains - probably different batches etc. Haven't shot any loads with those cases. What surprised me most was the wide variation in case wt.  Some Federal cases (brass) were 250- 252 grains while Rem and Win ranged from 235 to 248 grains and a couple norma cases I have weighed 215 - if I remember right.  I weigh cases now after spooking myself by working up a top pressure load in relatively light wt cases then seeing early pressure signs with a different batch of cases, that turned out to be much heavier - less room for the powder hence higher pressures in the heavy cases. So now I group my brass so they are all within 1 - 3 grain wt for serious work.  I record it in their MtM ammo box and keep that brass together for the duration of their life. When I switch to a different batch I may adjust the powder load up or down to compensate. Or drop down a couple grains and work up.  For the orphan brass I may load them light for practice work - and label that box too.   
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA